Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial Reefs

Hi all!

Was curious to see if anyone has tried paddling out to some of the reef sites. I was thinking of possibly going for site 9 by launching at the beach on key box rd. By my measure it would be about a 4.5 mile trip. Any info or advice for a trip such as this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I see this is your first post. Welcome to the site.

Regarding your question, I do not know of anyone one here (I could be worng though) that has paddled to them. 4.5 miles into the ocean is a fairly long paddle for species that can be targeted at closed locations. Things can get nasty fast out there and when the current is ripping it could be a bad spot to be. That said, on a perfect weather day with low wind and current I am sure it is doable. You would also have to perform a surf launch/landing.

What are you trying to catch? Like I said, most of the species that inhabit that reef can be found at other locations that are WAY easier to get to. For example 20+ inch tog can be caught at CHSP, with consistently larger fish available in the spring and fall when the water cools.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks!

I was thinking of targeting the larger croaker I've pulled out of there while fishing on head boats, but also jigging for flounder or tog. I've been reading many of the posts that mention CHSP as a fishing spot, but I'm more familiar with the Rehobeth Bay/IRI area. Any recommendations on where to start at CHSP for any of the species I've mentioned?

Comment

They don't call it a reef, but it doesn't get much bigger than the inner and outer breaker walls at CHSP. They hold Tog, Sheepshead, Triggerfish, Dogfish, Stripers, and you can catch Flounder over there too! I know croaker/spot/kingfish get caught from the pier so I am sure you can get em off the yak.

Comment

CHSP (Cape Henlopen State Park, just in case you weren't sure) is close to these areas. Launch from the beach by the fishing pier. Flounder/croaker could be around the pier or to the N/NE of the pier at the wall. The south side of the wall is known as the inner wall (generally calm on most days) and the north side is known as the outter wall. Little more exposed and sometimes more choppy. Fish both sides the wall for tog, flounder, and triggerfish. Its a rocky bottom so bring extra hooks and weights. Research tog rigs and techniques to get an idea. Interstate Kayak Fishing has a good article explaining how to catch tog at CHSP with jig heads.

http://interstatekf.blogspot.com/201...l-bartgis.html

The other option is a dropper loop rig. Rob Choi shows his rig here...

http://www.angling-addict.com/2011/04/tautog-rig.html

For flounder....its whatever you like. Jig with GULP! bounced on the bottom, minnow, strip bait, etc. Find structure or depth variations, clear water, and moving water.

Comeonfish's spear fishing video will give you a good idea what the bottom looks like and proves there are tog there.

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...h-July-17-2013

Good Luck.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
          Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
          2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Wow, thank you both for the awesome info. I plan on making a trip this weekend to try it out. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X