CHSP Triggers/Tog 7-20-13, Sat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Triggers/Tog 7-20-13, Sat

Was on the water 8 am on what turned out to be a pretty good day of fishing. The wind was not as bad as expected.

We fished the pier, Inner Wall and Outer Wall. Jigged for flounder and soaked clams, green crab and shrimp for togs and triggers. ComeOnFish (Joe) later met HokiedDJ and I in the afternoon at the Outer Wall. Joe did some diving, but the water was a bit murky so he later joined us fishing.

We were at the Outer Wall and had only hooked up on a bunch of fish and only few short togs. It was almost 6 pm and I was ready to go in, but Joe said, "Just five more minutes" as he baited his hook with green crab. I said, "OK." Before I knew it, he hooked up with a 20" tog. Yep, we got all excited and fished a little longer, but did not catch any more fish.

Joe should have a video soon.

I caught croakers, spot, toads, black sea bass, short togs and two triggerfish. The triggers were my first, so it was an exciting catch. I also hooked up on rays in the morning and afternoon hours. Both gave me nice sleigh rides. I also caught this small silvery fish (maybe 4") on clams. Not sure what it was, but it looked like a blue.

Phew, I was on the water 11 1/2 hours, and my butt ached.
    Attached Files
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Nice I hope the weather will be nice enough next week to fish. What is the keeper size for triggerfish?
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
      Nice I hope the weather will be nice enough next week to fish. What is the keeper size for triggerfish?
      No creel and size limit on Sheepshead, spadefish, and triggerfish. Spear-fisherman in murky water said "if it is black and white, and it is not long (striper), shoot"

joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
        No creel and size limit on Sheepshead, spadefish, and triggerfish. Spear-fisherman in murky water said "if it is black and white, and it is not long (striper), shoot"

joe
        Ok thanks going to try and fish for tog and triggers next weekend...what are the best baits? clams, sand fleas?

Tufnik, Are you planning on going again next weekend?

Comment

Nice! Thanks for the report. Please share how you cook the Triggers and how they taste. I would assume they taste similar to Tog since they eat similar food. I hope to make a trip over there in a couple weeks.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

It was a good day. I was very happy when I see two Hobies, red and yellow. I could see kayaks were duct-taped. Duct-taped bumper meant they were snag-liners and who fish CBBT. I knew they were Dave and Efren.

Yes, I caught some small togs and toadfish

Efren landed netted the 20" tog. When I made a Carolina rig while fishing I had only 15# test mono. And the leader was badly scuffed already. Efren came over and carefully netted the tog

I am paying for yesterday's fun. I am working until tomorrow morning before I report to the work

Things happened and my observation:
            • I gave up spear-fishing because the water was too murky for my ability. Visibility was about 5'. Though I met 3 spear-fishermen. They fished early in the morning. They killed 2 striper@25", a spadefish @20", some togs and some triggerfish
            • According to spear fishermen, tog (up to 20") are there all the time. I heard this from two different groups
            • I used Carolina rig with size 1 (not 1/0) short-shank hook). Locals recommended I use a size 1 long shank hook for both trigger and tog in summer. But my local Dicks didn't have the hooks. The leader was 4' long
            • I used 1.5 - 2oz slip sinker
            • I fished triggers in 5-9' of water (Warmer water)
            • I caught 2 triggerfish @13 and 16" on a half of a frozen shrimp
            • I caught 1 Tog @20" on the same rig except the bait. I used Dave's green crab. The cut green crab was as small as a large peanut - I trimmed off legs and back plate for triggerfish. This was caught in 11' of water
            • I fished for tog in 9-20' of water where water is colder
            • I think the better time for triggerfish is low tide when the water is warm.
            • I think the better time for tog is high tide when the water is colder
            • Wind under 8mph, the outer wall will be very good.
            • Inner wall holds triggerfish, we heard. Next time I will try inner wall first

Joe
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

When I saw an approaching blue yak with a familiar profile in the distance, I was thinking it might be you, Joe. Glad you showed up - I also learned more about catching fish there from you.

Hey, it was exciting watching you oh-so-gently fight that fish, especially with that light rod bent over silly. When it appeared, and I saw the familiar big black profile below the surface, I knew it was a tog. I thought we better land this one.

Not sure when I'm going back there, Minh. I'm thinking maybe OC or VB for this weekend, depending on wx.

Sand fleas, shrimp, clams and green crab are good for triggers. For togs: green crab, blue crab, shrimp, clams, and fiddlers. There's probably a couple more good baits for them. I use mainly clams and shrimp.
              Last edited by tufnik; 07-21-2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Ok, just found out that I won't be able to fish most likely until 12 latest so will fish in OC since its closest around the inlet or 90 bridge. Not sure if I want to try and tackle the 50 alone yet. Anyway good luck with where ever you choose to go

I actually will be there from Sat-Fri so I will have plenty of time to break in my new rod and get my first keeper fluke from the kayak.
                Last edited by M_Duong60; 07-21-2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Awesome going gents!

Question, I've fished Carolina rigs for LMB where you let it hit bottom and then pop it up while retrieving. How do you fish it in this type of water/environment for triggerfish and tog?
                  Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 07-22-2013, 12:28 PM. Reason: phone auto-correct was incorrect!
                  -Mustafa
                  ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                  2016 Hobie Outback
                  2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                  "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

My Video Log on the Day:

Comment

Nice video. I don't know why I keep coming back there. I have yet to catch a keeper there. I must like the punishment.

Comment

Another cool video. When Joe caught the tog: "...oh, man....oh, man...." lol

Relax..........close your eyes, HokieDJ.......you're getting sleepy.......you're asleep.......you are going to limit out one day..... you're going to limit out one day.......snap! Wake up now. How do you feel?

Comment

Working...
                        X