Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Tog and Triggerfish - July 17, 2013

CHSP Tog and Triggerfish - July 17, 2013
    It was the second fishing in 8 weeks due to heavy work load this summer. Took a Wednesday off and went to Cape Henlopen for fishing and possible spearfishing

I shot about 10 times. I harvested 2 tautog @15inches and 2 triggerfish @15-16 inches at the outer wall

Other spear fishermen killed several tautog @15-20 inches, Triggerfish @14-18inches, and Sheepshead @20inches

Boat rod & reel fishermenon few boats caught several tautog @12-17 inches, triggerfish @14-17inches

Water Visibility 6-9', Water temp 69-71F, Air 94F

Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Let me know next time you go and I'll join you. Just put new bands on my Rob Allen.
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Awesome, video. It looked like you had that nice one dead to right and he turned at the last minute!

Hobie Fishing Team Member
      Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Cool video! Thanks for posting it.
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Glad to hear that you finally took some time off...can't imagine what it feels like to not fish for 8 weeks. Going to fish 2 days next weekend for tog if anyone's interested the other 2 I will fish for flounder
          Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Very cool! When fishing with rod and reel, do Triggers hit the same baits as Tog?
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Small hooks Carolina rig and clam strips. Have two rods setup. Suspend the clam and drift along the walls until you hook up. Keep the first trigger hooked and the school will follow. Catch all of his buddies then reel him in. Its just like spadefish.
              Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Good stuff joe.

Thanks for posting.

Meadeo
                2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
                  Small hooks Carolina rig and clam strips. Have two rods setup. Suspend the clam and drift along the walls until you hook up. Keep the first trigger hooked and the school will follow. Catch all of his buddies then reel him in. Its just like spadefish.
                  Shady,
                  I checked with the locals (two guys on the video). They used Gamakasu size 1 (not size 1/0) long shank hook for both Tog and Triggerfish. Green crab was used.

joe
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

That's pretty hardcore fishing right there...going straight to their level. Thanks for the vid its gives a nice perspective.
                    2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFX35 View Post
                      Let me know next time you go and I'll join you. Just put new bands on my Rob Allen.
                      Sent a PM to you with my cell phone number

I am going tomorrow.
                      Here are what I learned on the last Wednesday:

I am bringing two anchors - I will anchor in 20-30' of water where no rocks are.
                      It will be shore diving. Not from kayak

I am also bringing a 20- 50' of rope. if the wind direction is OK I will tie my kayak to a dock frame (there is a broken dock at the point of the wall
                      Or I will anchor two lines on the top of the wall

You can bring wetsuit. Once get on the wall, you can wear and take off wetsuit on the top of the wall. I may bring 5mm wetsuit. The problem is I need 14lb weight for the 5mm wetsuit.

Before I get there they said, Triggerfish were on the top along the wall. I saw about 5 along the wall.

Triggerfish were 3-15' down
                      Tog were 10-20' down. Though a 20 incher was seen on the top, and it became a dinner

I am bring a wetsuit boots and scuba fins because I will be walking on the rocks all the time because I want to wear a hard sole shoes. Three experienced spear fishermen wore boots and a short and wide fins. Remember you will be walking on the rocks and diving from rocks (wall)

The outer wall is about 3-3.5 miles away from the launch.

You want a cart with wide wheels at Cape Henlopen state park because dry soft sand. With regular wheel it was very difficult

I am planning to be there between 8am- 4pm. It will give me 4-5 hour spear-fishing time

Tomorrow will be little rough for spearfishing due to wind. Though one side of the wall will be OK (but clarity can be very bad). and I will bring a rod, lure, and bait (possibly green crab)

Joe
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 07-19-2013, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Awesome Joe! I'm so glad you finally had a chance to go out and fish!!

Good luck tomorrow!
                        -Mustafa
                        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                        X