Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling with Braid

Quick Question
    Anyone troll with Braid....and what lb test do you use?
    I ask because just got a Tyrnos10 reel and am between 30lb and 50lb.

here are the capacities , the tyrnos 10 holds 500+ of 30 and 365 of 50.
    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Both are really hard to break when you hang up I'll tell you that! I have 40lb bc I couldn't decide and picked the middle. I would say go with the 50 for that reel, 300 yd spool is a ton of line.

How do you like that reel? Good buy for sure.
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Jesus, are u going for tuna or rock? in the bay in the yak i like to stay at 15 to 20lb braid. they are hard enough to break when hung i can only imagine trying to break 50lb braid on the yak. any thing in the bay can be caught on 15 lb braid even 65 lb rays. i did get a spool of 30 lb momoi diamond braid for my new rig that im going to use on the suski this spring. hoping that a 40" cow needs a little heavier line

Comment

Unless you are worried about abrasion, anything over 20 and you are just being towed. Regardless of how much pound test you have, the kayak is going to move. I use 20lb test myself for trolling. Thirty pound may work if you really feel the need. I use mostly 10, 15 and 20 pound test in the bay for spinning, casting and trolling. I understand that some use 50 and 60 pound test, while live line fishing the bridge. I think that is mono, and mostly for abrasion resistance. Twenty pound test line is stronger than most would think. I pulled up a dead crab pot last summer, that a boat must have dragged into the river. I snagged it, and when I got over it I used my gloves to hand line it to the surface.

If you hook a Bull Shark with that heavy line, you could set a new kayak speed record.

Good luck with that selection.

Comment

Now that you guys have mentioned braid and trolling, I heard this on WFN the other night. There was a Captain in Florida, who said that he did not like to use braid in a heavy current because it would sing. I think he was talking about the noise made, like when a fish is taking drag or making a run. You can heard that with braided line. I always thought that was line comming through the guides. Anyone heard of this before, of the line making noise as it moves through the water.

I have been trolling with braid for years, both in boats and in kayaks, and have never seemed to have a problem with this sort of thing. I like the braid for trolling due to the thin diameter. It gets cranks down deep.

I don't know if my line sings. Sometimes, I wonder if it actually catches fish, but that is a story for another thread.

Comment

I've never noticed my line singing, but I then again, I do not troll very fast! I use 10, 15, or 20 for any reel I'm planning on casting. For trolling reels, I figured I may take them on a boat or hook a big cow if I'm lucky and I wanted to make sure that the line wasn't going to be an issue. 40lb is my max but if I'm fishing structure I'm planning on using 20 or 30 lb mono like at the bridge. I was using 15 lb big game but I had too many break offs on the pilings this summer. I've now switched to 30lb HiSeas for the pilings and I'm looking forward to testing it this summer!

Comment

I know, I have never had a problem with braid making any noise that I can hear while trolling. I troll at 3mph, with no noise I can hear.

Comment

the only time i hear braid sing is when its windy and when i can recognize the song its time to head in from what ive learned fluorocarbon is much more abrasion resistant than mono but braid and fluorocarbon are much more expensive. i know when trolling off shore braid is king 60,80,100 lbs never heard anyone complain about singing braid and were trolling 5-7mph

Comment

I never heard anything like that until the guy on TV. I thought it sounded a bit absurd. I like trolling with braid. It has sort of taken hold on trolling, due to diameter. I think the rattle of the trolled baits would make more noise. Of course that noise seems to be good.

Comment

redfish: i was playing around with mine today. they are really sweet and i cant wait to use them. the lever drag on it is so much smoother and more precise than the avets and it puts down 18lbs of drag. I wish i had grabbed another one. Its also going to be sick for a dolphin pitch bait rod.

Do any of you guys have a preference in braid color? I know it doesnt make any real difference. I have hi-vis on one reel and green on another and cant figure out which one i like more. Im leaning toward hivis powerpro for this reel and the blue diamond braid for the avet (to match the reel duhhhh). I'd go with a better braid than PP but the tyrnos is going to eat a ton of 20lb. I also noticed PP makes a multi colored bottom fishing braid, anyone have any experience with these depth finder lines? i figure it might be nice to know how much line i have out instead of guestimating.
                      Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

and yeah, the boat i fish on out of OC doesnt use braid because the owner thinks braid makes "noise" underwater. I guess he thinks the fish are just accustomed to 900hp common rail diesels, the cavitation from 30'' props, and reggae blasting from the cockpit. The lesson here is that all of us fishermen are totally nuts.

Comment

It looked really nice, but I was worried it was going to be too big. How is the size?. Plus, the avet is plenty for me for now.

I put 300 yds of 40lb yellow power pro on mine. I was considering getting some of the diawa braid with the different colors for depth until I saw the price! I figure I can see my jig well enough on my df, so that will do for now. I just got some vertical 2oz no name jigs in to practice with. They were like a dollar each from some site in hong kong... look the same and the hooks are decent. I figure it won't hurt to loose them trying to learn how to speed jig for rock or whatever else I get a chance to use them on.

Comment

i like the hi viz PP but also use red and white. i also like fireline crystal it casts well, is good with knots and supposed to be translucent in water. going to try momoi on my new set up and give it a try.

Comment

I have heard my braid "sing" almost every time out when trolling in the boat. Of course I'm pulling at least 10 lines then. Havent done as much trolling from the Hobie, did 1 7 hour session last spring but was using mono on the heavier rodds, pulling tandems and mini umbrellas. Only trolling two lines from the kayak.
                              The wind seems to make the braid sing more, certain directions and you can really hear it, dont know if that does anything underwater. I use braid for trolling deeper baits, mono up top.

Comment

Working...
                              X