Michigan - Higgins and Houghton Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan - Higgins and Houghton Lake

I went on vacation last week and decided to rooftop my kayak up to Michigan. I got to fish every day and fished primarily on Higgins Lake which is stunningly beautiful and spent one evening on Houghton Lake and one morning on a dammed river next to Houghton. Higgins holds some Smallmouth, Trout, Pike and Musky, but I have only every caught Yellow Perch and Rock Bass there. That trend continued this year, but for the first time I caught them trolling from my kayak on small spoons. I took the kids out perching in a pontoon boat and everyone had fun with that. Lots of small fish.

At Houghton, I was targeting Pike and Walleye. My only opportunity was late in the evening, so it ended up being mostly night fishing; Also a first in my kayak. I live lined a small perch and did catch my first Pike. He was small at 21" but I was happy to catch one. No sign of Walleye that night.

At the Muskegon dam, a friend and I got a late start, but he caught a nice Smallmouth, a decent Bluegill and a Yellow Perch. I got skunked, but it was a nice place to paddle.

2013-07-16T14-02-00_2.jpg
    2013 Yellow Hobie Outback
    Kayak Fishing Blog - Cymbula Piscator
Working...
X