Winter Carping???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Carping???

did anyone see this report on TF? http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...getting-bigger

i might be able to brave -30 degrees for a couple hours this weekend for a shot at a big carp like that.
    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

I saw some brutes where I was fishing yesterday but couldn't get them to take my jig. I had a few pick up my pink worm, but they'd drop it before I could get the hook in. I think those thin trout worms would work on a small jighead or wacky. I'm also planning on tying some sh$t flies for them (literally what they are called). We'll see what works better, but freshwater bones are a blast to catch!
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

yeah, a san juan worm would probably be good. thats one thing i never really got into last year. i would see mudding carp at loch raven every once in a while on the kayak, but by the time i saw them and got the bass flies off i was pretty much on top of them. You need to be elevated. its the one time being stealthy on the kayaks can be a problem. i tried tossing some bonefish flies on them but they were really spooky. apparently pretty boy is better for carp and all of the tidal rivers around baltimore hold them in good numbers (from what i have ready). ill have a jon boat to use this year that im going to try to outfit for flyfishing so i'll have to take some time out to specifically target those bruisers. if you know of any ponds that have them i'd love to try to wet wade during the summer for them too.
      Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Cornmeal balls with garlic, best carp bait ever. My grandmother fished for carp until she was in her 90's. Make a real stiff mixture, with some flour, conrmeal, water and garlic. Drop it right on the carp, with a float. Watch the float start slowly moving away. Saw her catch what seems like hundreds of carp that way.

Comment

I've caught a lot of carp in the bay but never on anything except dough bait. I use 2 C cornmeal, 1 C flour, 16 oz water, 1/2 package of jello and about a tablespoon of vanilla extract...boil all together into a dough and knead. It will catch carp and catfish and I've never got a small catfish on it even though in the same area I've caught small ones on other baits. I don't know why this is. The biggest fish I've ever caught is a carp and it came out of the gunpowder...the place is crawling with 'em. You should see it when they spawn. I still want to get one in the kayak but it's really hard since they are so spooky. I've found the bait has to sit dead still to catch them. When you hook one it's the most fun of any fish I think. They fight hard!

Has anyone really got one on a jig?

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
          Kokatat Pro Staff
          Torqeedo Pro Staff
          Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
          Alan

Comment

We got one that was about 30 lbs last year at the 301 bridge on a six inch grub and a 1.5 oz leadhead. Pretty crazy, thought it was a huge rock then a huge catfish maybe, never a carp. I'll try to dig up the picture tomorrow.

We used a peanutbutter, cheese, and I wanna say bread or cornmeal but I can't remember. Caught some big carp in the New on that. Right behind kirks in bellpoint WV, tons of them.

Comment

I talked about this earlier on the 2011 fish challenge. Throw some canned corn around the area that you are going to fish. This is sort of like chumming. Then load up a reasonable sized hook with the same type corn and cast it out with a split shot. Then wait for the bite. One warning, if there are snags in the area don't use a light rod. Carp fishing can be challenging. It may be a good idea to use a small circle hook, like a number 1 or 2. I suppose you could use larger hooks, but then the fish may feel the hook. I have always used somewhat smaller hooks.

Another old time favorite is mixing cherry or strawberry Jello with flower, until it is a dough like substance. Make a dough ball on you hook and cast it out. The sweet scent of the Jello will draw the carp. They have a taste for the sweets.

There is good carp fishing in the spill way below Wye Mills. There is also good carp fishing in Tuckahoe Lake and in the area just below the spill way. In the spill ways you can see the carp moving around. The cold doesn't seem to bother them.

There are some fly fishing guys who use crayfish patterns to fish for carp.

I have caught them 15, 20 and 30 lbs, quite common in the spring. I used to do this as a way to catch larger fish before the season starts. I use to do this as a younger person. Maybe this year with the 2011 fishing challenge, I'll have to brush off the old carp rod.

Just take a couple cans of corn with you fishing. If nothing else is biting, throw the corn.
              Last edited by DOGFISH; 01-19-2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Pictures of the carp from last year.... (not me, but I took the pictures)

funny thing was a guy on the boat furthest away from us caught a carp about 2 minutes later that was also huge and we could see that he was reeling quickly, I guess they were just more aggressive that day.
                Attached Files

Comment

That must have been fun to catch, bet you did have a lot of discussion about what kind of fish it was while he was reeling it in.

Comment

Another place to catch alot of carp is in the Patapsaco River, in the State Park off of Rt. 1, near Halthorpe. There used to be a large pool just below the pond that is usually stocked with trout in the spring. I forget the name of the pond. There was alot of carp and big catfish in that river pool. Further up the walking path, about 1.5 miles, there used to be good areas for Smallmouth bass fishing. I have not been to these areas in several years, but anyone close to these areas may be close to a January fish. There is also supposed to be a perch run in the river.

Those big carp are fun to catch. They are good for off season fishing. It keeps you in fishing form.

Comment

My first carp I got using a 4.5' trout rod and 4 lb test. It was about an 8 lb fish. Any bigger and it never would have come in. It was a blast trying to coax it in with the super light tackle. I could hardly even budge it. I think basically swam ashore after 20 mins.

Has anyone ever cooked one? I've never brought one back but I've actually heard some surprising tales that they can actually be pretty tasty if cooked right. I mean, after all, the fish are here because the US govt brought them here as a sustainable food source. The first two were released in our backyard at Druid Hill Park.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                      Kokatat Pro Staff
                      Torqeedo Pro Staff
                      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                      Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                        My first carp I got using a 4.5' trout rod and 4 lb test. It was about an 8 lb fish. Any bigger and it never would have come in. It was a blast trying to coax it in with the super light tackle. I could hardly even budge it. I think basically swam ashore after 20 mins.

Has anyone ever cooked one? I've never brought one back but I've actually heard some surprising tales that they can actually be pretty tasty if cooked right. I mean, after all, the fish are here because the US govt brought them here as a sustainable food source. The first two were released in our backyard at Druid Hill Park.

I watched some guys on Cook What You Catch cook one. They didn't seem to be too impressed with it after it was cooked, even though they thought they had a good recipe. I think, I will just let it end with the catch...and release of course.

Comment

I have heard they are good smoked but then what isn't Also heard of people eating the smaller ones during the winter but I haven't personally tried one yet...

Comment

Originally posted by chimo View Post
                            I have heard they are good smoked but then what isn't Also heard of people eating the smaller ones during the winter but I haven't personally tried one yet...
                            Really ? ......... how in the heck do you light them ........... and what kind of buzzz do you get? ........

Comment

What do you say to a guy walking down the street smoking a carp? Hey, how are they biting.

Sorry, I should have left that one alone. Memory, you beat me to that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X