Little Lake Sunapee, NH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Lake Sunapee, NH

Spent a week at my in-laws lake house july 4th week on Little lake sunapee in New Hampshire. Ive always hauled my kayak with a truck, so this was my first time car topping, ha. with a yak in the sky, i still managed 30mpg av, cruising at 75 most of the way over 500 miles one way. not bad subie.

i wanted to fish the NH coast at least one day, but after exchanging emails with a local kayak guide i was going to book with, who said he was catching 30" stripers and 14" winter flounders, so i decided to pass on the coast.

My plan was to fish Lake sunapee for landlocked salmon and little lake sunapee for trout, bass and pickerels. it T-stormed basically everyday, and i didnt want to waste vacation time being chased off lake sunapee which i would have to drive to (i'll add i had no idea where to launch or fish there). i pretty much fished little lake sunapee everyday in the afternoon before getting chased off by 7pm daily storms. caught around 25 LMB and a bunch of pickerel over the week, biggest being a 25" pickerel. didnt even try for trout. Next year i'm definitely going to do some more research on the land locked salmon and trout fishery in the region. reports i saw were mostly in the lake winnipesaukee, trolling metal with downriggers. i'll probably mostly concentrate on lake sunapee and lake pleasant in new london as they are the closest to their place with LLS and trout. anybody know anything about land locked salmon?

wildlife there is pretty cool, especially the loons pictured. they swim crazy fast underwater, in a few seconds, they will be more than 50 yards away! one popped out of no where about 10 feet from my brother in laws kayak! speaking of him, he finally came out in the house yak on our last day, he definitely out fished me, catching a solid 17" and 15" and lost one near the yak that could have been a NH trophy (same as MD citation) bass. totally saw it jump out of the water and spit the hook!

IMG_20130629_142106_340.jpgIMG_20130630_172023_671.jpgP7020523.jpgP7030547.jpgP7030550.jpgP7040561.jpgP7030556.jpgP7030554.jpgP7060567.jpg
    sigpic

That looks like a lot of fun. I am envious of the large pickerel. They rarely grow that large in tide water.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice pics and nice fish. Looks like you had a really good time. New Hampshire is a really beautiful place to visit/camp/fish. Its been many years since I have been there - the Old Man of the Mountains was there when I visited.
      Laura (aka zeebyrd)
      Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Nice! Looks like some of those fish have been making beds to lay eggs with their shredded up tails.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

got this in the mail today! New Hampshire only gives certificate citations to the largest reported fish caught during the year which they review in February...wish me luck!

IMG_20130726_172819_964.jpg
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X