Ketchikan Alaska 7/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ketchikan Alaska 7/1

The wife and her family and I took an Alaskan cruise and just got back 3 am this morning.

One of our stops was Ketchikan and this seemed to be the best location to fish out of. The first plan, which was booked in January was a 6 hour combo halibut/salmon charter that I privately booked separate from the cruise. However, I got a call the day before we were scheduled to go saying that they would have to cancel the trip due to boat problems. To make matters worse, I didn't get the message until the morning of the trip and thought that there was no way we would be able to make alternate plans. After trying to make a few calls to other captains in the area with no luck, we ended up going to the cruise excursions desk and they had spaces available for a 4 hour afternoon salmon fishing charter. Not really what I had my heart set on, but it was better than nothing.

We set out from the marina with a friendly Capt. only our family aboard and a clean, newish boat around 12:30, with an improved mood and things looking up. The method we used was deep trolling with down riggers, using herring plugs, cut herring, and spoons. Not long after the Capt. got the gear all set we had a fish on and I brought in a spunky but short King Salmon. We spent the next 4 hours doing pretty much the same thing, with not too many lulls in the action. Many short King Salmon were caught (they call the short Kings "Shakers" because you are supposed to shake them off the hook without bringing them into the boat), several nice sized Silver salmon (aka Coho - no size limitation) were put into the ice box and one Pink Salmon. The catch of the day was had by my brother in-law with a King Salmon pushing 40" and 30lbs. Even better was that the large keeper King turned out to be a white king Salmon, which is a rare delicacy, apparently.

This was my mother in-law's first time fishing and brother in-law's second time and everyone really enjoyed themselves.
    DSC05754.jpgDSC05756.jpgDSC05762.jpgDSC05767.jpgDSCN5495.jpgDSCN5503.jpgDSCN5512.jpgDSCN5518.jpg
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Good looking fish. I enjoyed fishing in Alaska three years ago. We only found salmon one day -- jigging in deep water, but did catch lots of other fish too. I was pleased that I was able to jig a 2-oz metal jig using my own travel rod to get the salmon.

It looks like you had shirt-sleeve weather. We had a few times like that, but often were bundled against the cold and wind.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That's awesome...did you guys keep the fish?
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Yea, according to the locals we had pretty much perfect weather the whole time.
        I shipped over 20lbs back home, so should probably be set for the year and not need to keep anymore around these parts.
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Not bad for a 4-hr trip, not bad at all. Catches like that make me want to go some day. I had fresh King's for dinner before, and yes, they are outstanding! Thanks for the report, Ryan.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks for sharing the pics.
            My parents have started hinting that they would like to take an alaskan cruise next year, which I haven't been too excited about. Your trip makes it seem a bit more interesting now. Haha.
            Sun Fishin'

Comment

Great pics...salmon are pretty good fighters.
              14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
              2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I bet that fresh salmon is delicious. Definitely awesome your fishing trip worked out at the last minute.
                Shane
                Hobie Outback

Comment

Awesome! Glad you were able to make alternate plans. Beautiful fish.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

My trips have all been white knuckles, windy, rainy, big swells, bouncing, jostling...you were indeed fortunate with the weather...that said, I would not trade a single trip- each was memorial and we always brought fish to the dock- the scenery is majestic- bald eagles, whales, killer whales, mountains, islands, cuts between inlets- just unbelievable beautiful-and I still have fish in the freezer from my last trip- salmon, halibut, black and red rockfish, ling cod- yummmm....delicious! Glad you had a great trip and got a taste of the cold water wild fishery-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Shady,

Looks like a good time thanks for sharing.

Meadeo
                      2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Nice pics, hope I have weather half that nice when I am there August 12-19th!

Comment

cool pix!
                          sigpic

Comment

Sweet! I was just reading about fishing in Alaska and your post was a cool coincidence! Thanks for sharing bro!
                            -Mustafa
                            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
                            X