Upper Potomac - Lander to POR 7/2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Potomac - Lander to POR 7/2

Drifted from Lander to Point of Rocks on Tuesday and had a great time.. Mostly caught smallies and bluegills but there were a couple of large cats that decided to hit crank baits. The cats put up a good fight, but I hate unhooking the slimy buggers. Most of the bass were in the 10 - 14 in range, but the one pictured was the best of the evening and came in a bit over 18. Overall I probably landed between two and three dozen fish. The water was running just of 2.5 feet and clear with only only a bit of grass. I also managed to miss the rain!

Rich
    Attached Files

Nice Job! that a nice smallie!
    2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Did you do it on your own? What did you do for a shuttle? That's a really nice float. I fish downstream from there in Mo Co last weekend. Had a great time, and caught about 25 or so. They were all in the 8 -12" range. The nice thing about where I fished is that you can float downstream, and then take out , portage to the canal and paddle back to your car.
      Hurricane Skimmer 128
      WS Pamlico 100

Comment

I do this on my own. I park the truck at POR and then tow the yak behind my bicycle up to Lander. It takes me about 20 minutes to go the three miles..if I was in better shape I could probably do it faster

Rich

Comment

Nice Smallie, curious how's your yak towing setup for bicycle?

Originally posted by ret103022 View Post
          I do this on my own. I park the truck at POR and then tow the yak behind my bicycle up to Lander. It takes me about 20 minutes to go the three miles..if I was in better shape I could probably do it faster

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by AmberjackYakin View Post
            Nice Smallie, curious how's your yak towing setup for bicycle?
            The setup is actually pretty simple, a home made cart (made from PVC pipe, hand truck wheels and threaded rod), and a modified bicycle rack. It takes a few minutes to get used to the yak being back there, but once your over that it's pretty easy. I'll take a few pics of the rig and post them later today.

Rich

Comment

Very cool! I need a set up like that.
              Hurricane Skimmer 128
              WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Sounds simple enough.

The setup is actually pretty simple, a home made cart (made from PVC pipe, hand truck wheels and threaded rod), and a modified bicycle rack. It takes a few minutes to get used to the yak being back there, but once your over that it's pretty easy. I'll take a few pics of the rig and post them later today.

Rich

Comment

Rich
                  NICE!
                  I've done something like that. But I lock up my yak at the being of my float to a tree off the towpath and I only left my food, drinks & paddle in the yak and drove to the end of the float & park my car and I took out my bicycle and rode up the towpath to my yak and lock my bicycle. I keep it simple and carry my tackle in a backpack. It's little over 2 miles so it didn't take me long too. It took me about 20-30mins too.

Comment

If I have someone else with me, then I leave the bike at the take out ramp and drive to the put in. Once done one person rides up the path to get the truck and the other watches the yaks and continues to fish!

OK here are some pictures of the setup..the cart, the bike and the full rig.. As I said it takes a few minutes to get accustomed to.

IMGP1135.jpgIMGP1136.jpgIMGP1138.jpg

Comment

If I have someone else with me, then I leave the bike at the take out ramp and drive to the put in. Once done one person rides up the path to get the truck and the other watches the yaks and continues to fish!
                      I've done that too.

Nice Setup! I should make a bicycle tow bar.

Comment

OK here are some pictures of the setup..the cart, the bike and the full rig.. As I said it takes a few minutes to get accustomed to.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7828[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7829[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]7830[/ATTACH]
                        Couldn't you do this same thing alone by chaining up the bike at POR while floating down, and then chaining up the kayak while biking back to get your truck?
                        Bruce

Comment

Here is alterative kayak bike rack. 1 1/4" conduit about 4' long, drill a hole through on an angle, so it matches the seat post (I used a step drill).

Caution, the pipe swings and if you stop fast the kayak tries to pass you on the side, so STOP SLOWLY!
                          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Nice smallie....cool setup. Hope to hit the river this weekend . Thanks for the report.
                            John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthemanor View Post
                              Couldn't you do this same thing alone by chaining up the bike at POR while floating down, and then chaining up the kayak while biking back to get your truck?
                              Bruce
                              I could, and have thought about this, but then I either need to leave my gear or rig up something to tow it behind the bike. I might do this in the future, but for now this works for me.

Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X