VA Eastern Shore Boat trip...7/1/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA Eastern Shore Boat trip...7/1/13

I have a neighbor that boat fishes all the time. He always invites me to go. Good fishing partners are hard to find for him. He always runs iton people who always want to go, but never seem to have the moey to go on charter/head boats, never want to chip in for gas to carpool with him, or never want to chip in with fuel for his boat. So he likes it when I tag along because he knows I understand the "pay for play" concept, and I am willing to travle & fish all day long. That being said, we hit the road at 2:30am on Monday headed to the VA Eastern Shore to do some boat fishing. He set it up. I didnt ask many questions...I just knew we were going fishing with a captain that he knew.

We drove 3hrs and got to the dock. To my surprise, we were fishing on a bare-bones crab boat. The captain is a female commercial crabber. She takes people fishing as well. This was a fishermans trip on a fishermans boat. No frills, no tackle provided...no ice, no fish box, No mate, no amenities. Just a boat with an experienced captain to get you too the fishing spot. That was fine by me. I actually liked it. Three anglers, plus the captain. We had the boat all to ourselves!

We loaded up and put putted to the spot. Crab boats arent fast...well at least this one wasn't. We just bottom fished...ALL DAY LONG. We caught the usual suspects. Spot, croaker, kingfish. The spot were big, so that was fun on light tackle. We also caught gray trout. It got really boring though...until I hooked into a shark!! I caught an Atlantic Sharpnose. Once I caught that, I used cutbait and live spot to catch more periodically throughout the day.

Ended the day with a bunch of spot, croaker, and 2 sharks that I plan on grilling on the 4th of July. I have a BUNCH of people that have been wanting fish. I will clean them today and fulfill my promises. I will keep the croakers for myself, and I will keep some spot for bait as well.

It was a fun, interesting day.
    IMG_5215.jpgIMG_5217.jpgIMG_5218.jpgIMG_5224.jpgIMG_5226.jpgIMG_5232.jpg

This tripped capped off a 3 day binge of fishing. Over the weekend I caught perch, spot, croaker, trout, rockfish, shark, rays, blue catfish, channel catfish. Good times.
    Last edited by MetroMan; 07-02-2013, 09:06 AM.
    <insert witty comment here>

Sounds like a good day. You sure got a lot of fish and a great mix of species. I enjoy bottom fishing at Wachapreague Inlet and near Fishermans Island - I never know what will show up on the bottom rig there.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Careful of the shark fishing... They are now a federally managed "species". You can keep one shark a day plus one of the other listed species.
      Straight from the regulations:
      VESSEL LIMIT:
      1/vessel/trip of the species listed in comments regardless of the number of people on board
      IN ADDITION TO THE LIMITS ABOVE, a person may catch:
      1 additional Smooth Dogfish and
      1 additional Atlantic sharpnose and
      1 additional Bonnethead

No finning
      Head, tails and fins attached

Closure Period (applies to species with minimum fork length): May 15 - July 15

No fork length:
      (1) Smooth Dogfish; (2) Atlantic sharpnose; (3) Finetooth; (4) Blacknose; (5) Bonnethead

54" fork length:
      (6) Tiger; (7) Blacktip; (8) Spinner; (9) Bull; (10) Lemon; (11) Nurse; (12) Scalloped hammerhead; (13) Great hammerhead; (14) Smooth hammerhead; (15) Shortfin mako; (16) Porbeagle; (17) Common thresher; (18) Oceanic whitetip; and (19) Blue

Comment

Thanks for pointing that out. I had no clue! I am so used to there being no regs for Atlantic Sharpnose.

Comment

Those spot look big.

Thanks for the report.

Meadeo
          2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Nice cache of spot. Thanks for the report. Oh.......does she know where hungry keeper flounder hang out?
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Meadeo, there were quite a few jumbo spot there. I was cleaning them last night, and had a few that were as big as the smaller croaker.

Tufnik, I am sure she does. I caught a small flounder (about 10") on the boat as well.

Comment

Working...
              X