Maryland Tournement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maryland Tournement?

Has this group ever hosted a kayak fishing tournement here in MD?

nope, have not, but would love to! we havent mainly because we're a new site/group. hopefully, with the help of members, like yourself and others, will stick around and become a real community. i would be more than happy to schedule and set up a tornament, as early as the fall run. lets work on who is interested in this and we'll start setting it up. i think it's a great idea and a chance for us to get together and meet new yakers.

what do you guys think?
    sigpic

Comment

Lets do it!

Sounds Great. I will be back at college (St. Mary's College right on the St. Mary's River so hopefully I'll be able to fish a lot when I don't have baseball practice) in the fall but can help with anything I can.

The marina I work at hosts a fishing tournament every year and I could ask for some advice on running and putting together a quality tournament. We should definitely try to make it solid so we can do it again each year and have people return and bring more people with them.

What do you think would be a good location? I would think maybe Sandy Point State Park since it is centrally located and would allow for a good size launch area if we were able to draw a good crowd.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get clearance from the DNR for hosting a tournament? Any ideas?

Next-Talk to the state park see if it would be allowed/pick a date.

1. Get Sponsors (there are plenty of kayak stores and tackle stores/shops that we could target)
      2. Decide on rules/prizes/entry fee
      3. Advertise the tournament on kayak forums and at fishing shops statewide

I can't think of anything else at the moment feel free to add any ideas.

Comment

I think SPSP would be an ideal place for a tournament. I don't think DNR would be a problem. People host all sorts of fishing related tournaments and flings over there.

Hopefully we can host one in September. I think it would be fun. We just need to build up our fleet a little bit more.
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I don't think I have the fishing skills or luck to compete..LOL.... I've caught just one/one...one fish ever using a lure.. and that's because I freaking soaked it in boodworm's blood for about a minute...PURE luck.. LOL.. I am so used to soaking my bait (from my pier fishing days).... I think I'll be kayak fishing from now on ... Good site and glad I found you guys...

Maybe I should try trolling...

Comment

^ you'll get the hang of it. The best thing I ever did was purchase a kayak. No more crowds, rude people, and or crazyness that you find at piers. The more you go out the better you'll get...im still learning also. I tried trolling from the yak for the first time this year and did pretty good. I caught a 35incher at the begining of the season, which is my biggest fish from the kayak. Right now, live lining is the way to go!
            Hobie Revolution 13
            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I agree the bigger fleet we have the better, I also think we could attract some out of staters as well.

Comment

the first year this may not be huge, but more of a gathering, but i guarantee you it will only get bigger and better!! again, awesome idea!
                sigpic

Comment

I emailed the President of the MSSA and asked if they have ever thought of adding a kayak division to their tournaments. I'll attach the email as soon as I figure out how to.

Comment

Matt-

Thank you for your interest. We do allow kayaks in our tournament, however, it is not a catch and release as you already know. I would encourage all kayak fishermen to enter the tournament. While they are at a disadvantage, it is very possible for a kayak angler to win the tournament. All he needs is one big fish. Although at that time it is hard to get on the fish in a kayak….right?

I will give some thought to a kayak division and make it a catch and release. It would certainly have to be worth our while. I would need to see some strong support, a lot of kayak fishermen would have to show interest.

We do have a tournament coming up in September out of Ocean City called the Beach N Boat tournament in which I am trying to get the kayak fishermen involved.

Thanks

Dave

Email from me...

Have you ever thought of adding a kayak division to your tournaments? I work at the Rod-N-Reel in Chesapeake Beach and I think this could provide another group of anglers for the event. Kayak fishing is on the rise and has a tournament following up and down the coast. Myself and others are really trying to get a Maryland Kayak Fishing Club together (snaggedline.com) It would be really awesome if the already eztablished fishing tournaments in the state assisted in the process. Also kayak fishing tournaments are generally catch and release and judged by photo evidence, which is good for the state fisheries.

Dave Smith

Associate Executive Director

Maryland Saltwater Sportfishermen's Association

o. 410-255-5535

f. 410-255-1552

mssa logo png

www.mssa.net

Comment

I have been in a few tournments (Not with Kayaks but have some basic ideas) as far as prizes etc... basic rules etc.. I think the whole trick is to KIS it (keep it simple ) Have little things each season Rockfish in the spring, Perch one time, Pickreal or YP in the colder season. Buy in with X amt then break it 50% to first 20% 2nd 10% 3rd 20% to pay for prize or trophy.set boundry lines (easy with kayaks how far can you really run), Weigh in (decide on measurements weight, total amt, measure to the V or tip of tail. BBQ @ the end with beverages Could work

Comment

This is a post I made on Kayak Fishing Mag, and here is the response from one of the big time guys from the MAG.

Myself and some of the guys in Maryland (snaggedline.com) are looking into putting together a tournament here in the Chesapeake Bay possibly around the Bay Bridge. Just looking for some info and suggestions on what and how to put toghether a successful tournament. Thanks

Rod-N-Reel Tackle Shop
                        Chesapeake Beach, MD

Maryland Kayak Fishing
                        www.snaggedline.com
                        www.paddlesandfins.com

I like the idea of a tourney around the bay bridge
                        there is a tackle shop just north of the ships, I forget the name

she is very active with the fishing down there, I would approach here as a sponsor of the event. Once you have a sponsor you can work out the details

I would choose a time of the year and a species to target

I might even think about having a tournament down by the ships, in Decemeber, at any given weekend that time of the year there is 30 yakers from different clubs, you can even get it done for this year

I would be glad to help, largest Striper from the ships for the weekend or even the day

Sponsors will come once you start promoting the event.

call me if you need more suggestions 609-743-7729
                        www.kayakfishingmagazine.net
                        https://twitter.com/KayakFishingMag

Comment

Working...
                        X