Corolla, OBX NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corolla, OBX NC

I left Wednesday night to meet up with my fiancé Annie's family who rented a house in Corolla NC for a week. I was only going to be there for 3 days but brought both yaks down to get out in the sound. The first two days the weather was perfect and I decided to just chill and drink beer on the beach and have fun in the Jeep on the drive on beach. I did cast a spoon to some breakers in the surf and caught small blues and snagged some small bunker they were chasing. Fun but not really what I was looking for.

On Saturday we woke up to thunderstorms all morning, I checked the weather and there was going to be a break in the weather from 3-5 so Annie and I decided to head up to the public launch at the Corolla Light house park. Nice ramp and good parking right there. There was threatening clouds rolling in so I only took one rod with a chartreuse gulp swimming mullet on a 1/8 jig hear and my hog trough. Started to fish the shorelines around some submerged pilings and on the second cast got a nice hard hit, set the hook, and had some nice drag ripping runs on my light rod. All of a sudden I felt a tension on the end of the line and realized the fish had wrapped itself around a submerged piling! Looped back around to release the line from the snag and really hoped the loose tension wouldn't allow the fish to shake loose and get free. Got the line free, one more run, and the red came up to the surface. Grabbed the leader and in the yak, my first redfish from the kayak at 19"!! Annie came over to see what was going on since since she wasn't fishing and in the process of trying to get my phone for a picture rolled her kayak and went for a swim. Good thing I hadn't handed her the phone yet. It was a hectic 5 minutes but well worth it! Only fished for another 20 minutes before lightning started rolling in but that was fine with me. Can't wait to get back down there to do some more fishing.
    IMG_4244.jpgIMG_4246.jpgIMG_4248.jpgIMG_4238.jpg
    Shane
    Hobie Outback

That's awesome news! I am heading down there at the end of the week to spend a week with my family! Free launch?
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice looking redfish. Congratulations on getting your first.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
        That's awesome news! I am heading down there at the end of the week to spend a week with my family! Free launch?
        Yes, I think the launch is free. There are signs pointing you towards the ramp so it's pretty easy to find once you're in there. Goodluck!
        Shane
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Cool report i love fishing down there. Nice redfish.

Meadeo
          2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

I will be down there starting this Saturday 6th - 13th...was going to leave the kayak and just take surf rods, now it looks like i may have to reconsider. I dont really fish salt water any recommendations on lure selection? Presentations? I am familiar with the light house...never fished the bay. I like/use Gulp minnows a lot...i guess i could just stay the course. Thanks for sharing the post, my head is spinning with the possibilities...i was going to spend some quality time w my kids...now it appears they will continue to be - Kayak fishing orphans.
            Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Originally posted by wfauby View Post
              i was going to spend some quality time w my kids...now it appears they will continue to be - Kayak fishing orphans.
              Lol....still better than a real orphan.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
              Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
              2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

wfauby, I'll be down for the same time period. If you want fish the lighthouse area together let me know!
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice red !! Was vacationing south of you last week in Avon. Didn't take the kayak. Surf fishing was tough due to the everyday high winds and muddy water but managed to catch some blues, flounder, sea mullet, and pompano . Also caught rays, skates and black tip sharks but they don't count. Waded the sound one day . Could see the reds busting on mullet but couldn't get any to hit a grub. Congrats on your first red !
                  John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Nice catch and nice red too
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                      Nice catch and nice red too
                      Haha thanks Ryan ,she's a keeper
                      Shane