Confidence Baits Draggin' Head in Calf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confidence Baits Draggin' Head in Calf

Took Jr. fishing on Friday. We just launched and made maybe 10 casts max and we see lightning. Look to the west and see dark clouds and a black sky. Pull over to a mid-river island to check the radar on my iPhone. We decide to paddle back to the takehout. As we are pushing off from the island, Jr. hooks himself in the calf with one of Jeff Little's lures! The 1/8th ounce draggin head is all the way into his claf past the bend in the hook. Pulled on it and it wasn't going anywhere due to the barb. So we cut the line and paddled like crazy. Got caught in a massive down pour of rain. Got Jr. to a clinic where they had to cut the thing out of his leg. Now he's on 10 days of antibiotics. He says he won't be fishing a tube for a while.
    What happened was that he had the rod laying flat with the tip of the rod past the bow of his kayak. The lure was wound tight to the rod tip. When he pushed the kayak off the island, he was still standing there and the rod tip/lure caught him in the back of the calf. The momentum and mass of the kayak pulled the hook deep into his calf.

I was bored yesterday and thought about fishing, but didn't feel up to going without Jr. So I washed and waxed my 1992 Volvo instead. It rolled over 214,000 miles as I was taking Jr. to the emergency clinic to get the hook out of his leg.

Ouch!

Comment

SUCKS! Hope he's ok... that second picture looks like it was taken in the hospital. How did they get it out?
      Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
      Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
      Northern Pike: 24 inches
      Crappie: 12 inches
      Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

They had to cut it out with a scalpel. I took him to a local emergency clinic.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your boy. You may not have caught any fish, but you have a good story that you both will share for a long time. The Volvo looks great!
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Ouch! Are you the original owner of the Volvo? That thing is sweet!
            sigpic

Comment

I've owned the Volvo for 13 years. It has had it's fair share of mechanical troubles, but only left me on the side of the road twice. It's easy to work on and maintain so that's the main reason I've kept it so long. For a 21 year old car it's doing fine. The best part is that I can park it anywhere and not worry about it. Nobody wants to steal it and up close it has plenty of character scratches and dings that come with parking lots and shopping centers. If only Volvo made a small pickup truck using the same drivetrain!!!!! We will see how Jacob does once he starts driving it in August. I'll be sad when it goes. I hope it survives Jacob driving it for a year or two.

Comment

Jeff Little, pls respond
                Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                Northern Pike: 24 inches
                Crappie: 12 inches
                Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

I have this posted on 3 forums that Jeff visits....I thought he would have seen it someplace and sent Jacob some free lures by now!!!! My son can verify that Jeff uses quality hooks in his products!!!!!

Comment

ouch!

Meadeo
                    2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Gotta remember to keep making my flies barbless.

Comment

Working...
                      X