Gulf Shores, Alabama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gulf Shores, Alabama

We left the launch Thursday morning at 5:30 a.m. in my buddy's 21 foot Mako center console- kinda choppy in the bay but when we hit the Gulf it was like being in a washing machine with chop coming at you from every direction- rough as a cobb, but we went anyway- 17 miles offshore we fished small artificial reefs- the fishing was hard with wind and current making it hard to hold position over the wrecks- your bait would just be in the zone for a few minutes and you were hanging on with one hand- we caught our limit of red snapper (2 fish per angler) some gag grouper that was out of season that we released and headed back inshore to try to find calmer water- I caught lots of ladyfish, jack carvelle, and a blacktip shark on my Lexa 300 H and Cabela Salt Striker travel rod- the outfit did good- but when I woke up Friday morning I felt stiff and sore from the pounding we took Thursday- just too rough to be enjoyable-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Beats workin' though. That's a good day on the water anytime you limit out on snapper. Time for advil 600 mg and a hot tub!

Comment

Way to go Ron. That sounds like some fun fishing. Sorry the conditions were so rough.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yeah, we just knew it was going to be smooth sailing- we watched all the buoy reports and were surprised by the chop- and it was rough all day long- not just on the tide change- but the snapper and grouper were fun to catch- we used live croakers and cigar minnows- cut bait worked just as good- I couldn't get anything to hit the jig- finally went to my old standby like in the bay- a five inch bass assassin on a one oz jig head-- the ladyfish, jacks and shark ate it up-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
        X