personal best LTJ striper - 31"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• personal best LTJ striper - 31"

I fished several days from my own boat this week. I managed to catch many schoolie stripers from 12" to 18", but nothing big. Yesterday one of the other guys in the Severn River Rod and Keg Club (27 sailfish - Skip) invited me to fish on his larger boat this morning. His plan was to live line at an area that had been productive for him earlier this week. We caught two dozen spot and headed to his location. The rockfish were no longer there, so we moved around and explored for good screen marks.

Eventually he found what he wanted. Skip and the other two guys livelined while I jigged a BKD off the bow. Soon three of us were hooked up at the same time. My first fish was mid-20s. I continued jigging with my custom rod made by Steve Fogle of Backyard Custom Rods. Soon I had a 31" brute onboard. It is a personal best for me using LTJ. The bite continued well for the next hour until the tidal current slacked off.

009.jpg 001.jpg 002.jpg

That one hour ranks among the very best large fish catching I have ever witnessed. I guess all my practice catching smaller fish paid off!
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Very nice catch there John. Hopefully I can catch something at the BB this Sunday.

Outback 2015
    Maui

Comment

nice rock john! congrats
      sigpic

Comment

'tis a beauty for sure. I am looking forward to catching one on the yak some day.
        Laura (aka zeebyrd)
        Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

Congrats on the fish, john

Comment

Congrats on the personal best John! It's always a great feeling to know that "you're doing the right thing" but you haven't been in the right place at the right time!

Did you get one of the rainshadow spinning rods he had at our swap meet? I took his card and if I get another rod it will be one of his!
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice catch John!

Comment

Always nice to get a personal best, pretty work John!

Comment

WTG John! Nice job. Congrats on a LTJ personal best!

BTW, the schoolies are still out there. Had a boating trip yesterday with the missus. Of course, I brought along a couple rods. I rigged one with a teaser fly and caught several double headers. Landed 20 in about 45 minutes.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Skip is a fine fellow to go fishing with- he really knows his stuff and can find the fish- congratulations on jigging up such a nice fish this time of year, John-
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Awesome!
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Good Work on the PB John! Nice looking fish.
                          Shane
                          Hobie Outback

Comment

nice!
                            <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Working...
                            X