Crawfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crawfish

Looking to do a little crawfighing this summer. I am in Southern Maryland and am looking for local knowledge of lakes or rivers that hold crawfish. Thanks

The creeks of tidal Potomac have red swamp crawfish. No idea how far down river they go though.

Comment

i know absolutely nothing about this, and never heard of someone targeting them in the delmarva area! would love to know more from someone who has info. when i was kid, i would find random ones while playing in the local creek and looking under small rocks looking for salamanders in montgomery county, md, but i grew up calling them crayfish, ha. ah, miss those days
      sigpic

Comment

The red swamp ones burrow into the muddy banks of creek channels. The holes are about 2" in diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
          i know absolutely nothing about this, and never heard of someone targeting them in the delmarva area! would love to know more from someone who has info. when i was kid, i would find random ones while playing in the local creek and looking under small rocks looking for salamanders in montgomery county, md, but i grew up calling them crayfish, ha. ah, miss those days
          I call them crayfish too, I only look for them for bait or to see what color lure to use. I find them in shallow pools, usually under rocks. I'm not familiar with the red swamp variety.
          -Mike
          Mike
          Feelfree Lure 11.5
          Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

I used to catch them at family reunions on the upper Patapsco river near Marriotsville md we would catch em by flipping rocks in the shallows with a plastic cup they were usually small so it to a lot for it to be worth eating but they were always good we grilled them on the barbecue. I know down south they use traps but don't have any idea how that works
            D Hawk
            Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
            Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

The two methods i have used in the past to catch a bucket full.

1. Head lamp after dark in the shallows wading. Crawfish are nocturnal in nature so they are extremely active after dark. Sometimes you can find hundreds in a short time witrh this method.

2. Minnow trap baited with fancy feast. I have set multiple traps in areas i know holding good crawfish populations and had good success catching numbers of crawfish.

Hope this helps you.

Meadeo
              2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

I use Meadeo's method...minnow trap with a couple hot-dogs in it...place it deeper hole of practically any creek, overnight, and you should have a few/several/a bunch? Depending on how good the population in the creek is. Good luck
                Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Originally posted by Meadeo View Post
                  The two methods i have used in the past to catch a bucket full.

1. Head lamp after dark in the shallows wading. Crawfish are nocturnal in nature so they are extremely active after dark. Sometimes you can find hundreds in a short time witrh this method.

2. Minnow trap baited with fancy feast. I have set multiple traps in areas i know holding good crawfish populations and had good success catching numbers of crawfish.

Hope this helps you.

Meadeo
                  Meado, What areas are you referring to???

Comment

Working...
                  X