Susquehanna River near Harrisburg, Pa 6-23-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna River near Harrisburg, Pa 6-23-13

I loaded up the cataraft and the boys and headed up to water that's been off limits for quite some time. I could have hit it last weekend, but opted for another Bay Bridge trip instead of high water on the Susquehanna. The water had cleared, and we had good opportunity to do some snorkeling, flipping rocks to see crawfish, madtoms, aquatic insects and some of last years smallmouth year class. We even found a small rock bass that let me cup it in my hands. Both boys were shoulder to shoulder with me in the water, masks down looking as I did it very slowly. I think they believe me to be the fish whisperer or something. For the life of me I don't know why that little 4 inch rock bass didn't dart off.

Fishing was good, not great but good. I picked an area that I hadn't spent much time on, and let the boys splash in the shallows as I casted out to spots where gradual current seams met beck rock ledges. I only measured one of them, an absolute brute of a 19.25 incher, but figured that I had 4 of them 18 inches or better. I threw some of my new swim jigs, but they wanted my soft plastic jerkbaits, a Confidence Baits Wutz It in Mummichog color rigged on a 1/8 oz Draggin Head. The boys just say "brown fluke" when they see me rig one up. Every fish I caught took that set up on bottom, just sitting there a minute or more.

IMG_1866.jpgIMG_1905.jpgIMG_1938.jpg
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Nice that's a hawg!
    D Hawk
    Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
    Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Nice! I have a client in Harrisburg and drive over the Susky up there several times a year. I've always wanted to try fishing up there but never have... Are the smallmouth doing better up there? Or maybe you are just that good...
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
      X