Cunningham Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cunningham Falls

I want to try Cunningham Falls Reservoir for kayak fishing from my Hobie. I know where it is on the map, but I've never been there. I've seen reports about the trout fishing there, but I am not a trout fisherman. I would greatly appreciate any help from others who have fished there for bass regarding launch places, areas, depths, lures, or whatever advice they can offer to make my first trip there worthwhile.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

I haven't been fishing there is years and didn't catch much when I was there so can't give you much help on fishing. I remember the South West corner of the lake where Hunting Creek flows in was loaded with beavers and downed trees. The public launch is on Catoctin Hollow Rd, clearly visible on google maps. There's a boat ramp and handicap accessible dock. The big parking lot and beach on the opposite side is some kind of camp, not sure if it's open to the public. The lake is not huge, it can get crowded on summer weekends.
    Good luck,
    Mike
    Mike
    Feelfree Lure 11.5
    Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

The lake is loaded with bass. Trout fishing is pretty much over now but there might be a few left. There's also some nice bluegill and crappie. Launch fee is on the honor system, so be sure to have several $1 bills handy. It's only about 40 acres and you will be able to fish the entire lake. As Mike says, the lake gets very busy on nice weekends.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

I did we'll in the spring there. They super stock it with trout... Be sure to have a FF. Fish the holes by the dam with night crawlers. Don't chase them... Just watch for a cloud to appear on the sonar and have the bait in the zone with the smallest amount of weight on it to get it there.

They are like Indy car drivers... They just do laps in the lake.

Beware of DNR. They are heavy in the area due to the trophy, catch and release trout fishery in the surrounding rivers/streams. You can count on them checking your license and limits. Be polite and chat them up and they make it painless. But be surly and they will get downright into your business.

Comment

I fished there last season in late September. Caught a bunch of largemouths in the 10 to 12 inch range by fishing a jig with a craw trailer from the bank out to about 7 feet deep. Could not unlock the secret to any larger bass. Started at the boat ramp and worked my way around the shoreline all the way around the lake. There was another angler working the shoreline in the opposite direction with a square bill crankbait having about the same type of success. We were both keying on any laydowns or other submerged wood we could find.
          Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

any of you locals know if the ponds up top are still public?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
              any of you locals know if the ponds up top are still public?
              You mean the ones high up in the mountains just south of Cunningham Falls??? As far as I know they are, nice secluded ponds.
              Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Those are the ones. I was stationed on top of Catoctin Mt for a few years, and we fished them a lot. Some nice bass and crappies in some of them. This was when they were digging and building the dam for cunninham (68-69) Our favorite pond was on top just off Old Mink Farm Rd. Had to dodge boulders on the road to save the oil pan.

Comment

Working...
                X