Eating fresh water fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating fresh water fish?

you guys eat LMB, SMB, Crappie, sunfish, other sweet water fish, etc?
    sigpic

I wouldnt eat BASS....but crappie apparently are good.

Comment

Depend on where you fish, if you fish from local lake it probably safe to eat all your catches. I wouldn't eat bottom feeder from Potomac such as catfish, carp, eel, the rest are good I think.

Originally posted by jet View Post

Comment

beyond being safe, have you guys tried any of them? any good? out west, you can find tons of youtubes vids of them enjoying fish(but thats all they got), not so much around the mid atlantic. i have seen shore fisherman on the upper potomac and md/va lakes with buckets and coolers keeping fish so was curious.
        sigpic

Comment

I know that snakehead, perch, LMB, crappie, striper, catfish are all good eating.

Comment

NO! They live downriver from a major city. What do you do in that bathroom every day!??!

Enjoy C&R font

Comment

When I visited relatives in the Carolinas we used to catch crappie and sunfish in a local pond. My folks would dredge it in corn meal, and fry it with hush puppies. It was tasty, but anything fried and served with hush puppies is tasty. But I've never found panfish like these to be worth the time and effort to cook myself.

Yellow perch is delicious. Snakehead is a delicious, firm, and versatile fish, and you get a lot of meat off one. I usually steer clear of catfish, though I have eaten channel cats and found them to be tasty.

Overall, saltwater fish just taste better in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                NO! They live downriver from a major city. What do you do in that bathroom every day!??!

Enjoy C&R font
                The unfortunate truth. Our areas sweetwater is not very sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post

Enjoy C&R font

what do you think the chesapeake bay is? 6 states and 64k square miles of plumbing to the bay...flush! BUT my point is, imagine if the FW fish lived in a deer park water bottle, do these sweetwater fish taste ok?
                  sigpic

Comment

Freshwater fish taste fine overall. Some, like yellow perch, are excellent. I will say that I have had freshwater white perch and saltwater white perch and thought the saltwater ones tasted better.

Comment

Taken a few LMB from Loch Raven in my day, pretty good to eat IMHO. If you can catch Blue gill big enough to make them worth cleaning, there isn't a better eating fish out there...
                      I also put my fair share of stocked trout in my freezer, but I guess that doesn't really count...
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

^lol, yeah, i wasnt thinking stocked trout either
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm originally from the Cape Cod area,the lakes up there are crystal clear, just like that Deer Park bottle. I've eaten LMB, yellow perch, bluegill, and various trout. Trout and bluegill are great, perch is good, bass was just ok. (I've also had catfish and tilapia at restaurants and love both of them.)

Mike
                          Mike
                          Feelfree Lure 11.5
                          Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

what do you think the chesapeake bay is? 6 states and 64k square miles of plumbing to the bay...flush! BUT my point is, imagine if the FW fish lived in a deer park water bottle, do these sweetwater fish taste ok?
                            I don't eat anything from the Chesapeake either! However, FW fish from clean water are tasty. I remember taking a LMB from a stained lake and it tasted like mud. Took one from a clear, drinking water reservoir and the meat was white, flaky and tasty.

But, keep in mind there's a reason for those fish consumption advisories:

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/blog/po..._bay_watershed

http://www.mde.maryland.gov/programs...ies%202011.pdf

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/Epidemio...gy/Advisories/

http://www.dnrec.delaware.gov/fw/Fis...sory_Chart.pdf

PCB's, Yum!

Comment

Your analogy cracks me up. The only freshwater fish Ill eat and are tasty are yellow perch, snakehead, walleye, crappie, white perch and sunfish if they're big enough. Oh and blue cats from certain rivers. Bass are good but they are a sport fish in my mind.
                              Hobie Outback
                              WS Tarpon
                              IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

Working...
                              X