Rod Transport??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod Transport??

How do you guys huff your sticks around? My kayak has a big stupid piece of foam in it that prevents me from fitting more than really 1 rod in it. I am using a two door car with a yakima roof rack. I was thinking maybe the yakima ski/snowboard rack might fit alongside my mako saddles and hully roller setup and i could put a few there. I'd rather not spend the money on more yakima stuff if i could make something that would work though. thoughts??
    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

I have a Yakima roof rack system on my car as well. We got the Fat Cat4 some time ago and it works real well. Pricey compared to their other model but a much better unit and a lot less wind noise.

Comment

I don't like to put rods inside the kayak, as there tends to be some saltwater inside the kayak. Some water always seems to get in. I just don't want my reels in water. I put mine in rod holders on the crate and the extensions in the built in rod holders. Thats all if you were talking about on the water.

As far as car transport, I have a P/U so no problem. One of those ski, snow board, box like containers should work, if long enough. I am one for one piece rods, so that would not work for me. If you had to, you could use one of those large rod tubes. However, then you would have to take your reels off everytime. I suppose you could use a large piece of PVC tube, the extra large type, same reels off problem. You could then strap that to your rack. You also would not be able to pre-rig your rods. I like to have my rods ready to go when I get to the water. Its bad enough getting the kayak ready. When I get to the water, I just want to go.

Another solution is to get a trailer. You can then mount a box in between where two kayaks would go. If a single trailer, you can mount the cargo box next to where you carry your kayak.

It is terrible how one thing leads to another. You get a kayak, then you need racks. You get a larger kayak or more equipment and you need a pickup truck. Sounds like you are on your way. You may want to do that anyway, if you get the boats you were talking about in the other thread. That is what got me started on pickup trucks. Wow, from rod transport to new trucks, how things can get out of hand.

Good Luck.

Comment

Ahhhh ........ but if you have a PA you don't have that problem ....... it has 6 ..... yes count em ...... 6 external horizontal rod tubes that easily handle 7' rods and reels ..........

I know ....... I know ......... there he goes again about that dang PA ......... but it's made for the fishermen and solves a bunch of expensive problems ....... and it's FUN

Comment

Your rods don't fit in your car? I can fit my three 6.5ft rods in my wife's Golf with plenty of room for a passenger. Actually, there is less room in the cab of my pickup than in the Golf. 6.5ft is about the limit for my pickup, but I think I've got another foot or so in the Golf.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

i mean i can fit them in there but its a huge pain in the butt driving with them coming up past the center arm rest. i keep them rigged and alot of times they'll roll over on each other and tangle. i'd like to have something to get them out of the way for trips down to oc or kipto
            Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Yeah, the tangling is a pain. Mine don't tangle, but the rattling of the rod tips if they overlap is really irritating. I was thinking of getting something like this:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/The_R...ge-TRGXLS.html

I have velcro leash clips near the reel seat where I hang my lure, so I could leave them rigged, but the rod sleeve would keep the lines and tips from tangling.
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

try getting a piece of aluminum tubing from tractor supply. Shove it through a pool noodle or piece of pipe insulation. put same on the yakima rack, stick your rods in between and latch the two down. Basically making a ski rack. May look a little rigged but shouldnt cost you more than 20 bucks.

Comment

Mostly, the tangles can be reduced by taking the line, from where it comes from the tip to the hook keeper, grab it about mid way, pull it out a bit, spin the rod and wrap it around the rod a few times. That way there is no line to become tangled. Don't get me wrong, it helps to eliminate the tangles. When there is line there will be some tangles. However, that has eliminated most of the head aches for me. Sorry Bill, the tips will still rattle. Maybe some bubble wrap and velcro strips will stop that problem.

I would not want to carry any reels exposed on roof racks. Road dust, grit and grime will be forced into the reels by the wind. That is not good. I have just always put a cap on my trucks. I carry all of my equipment enclosed. Of course, I may have a problem with all of the 7.5 foot rods that I am now building.

Memory Maker: Hobie should put you on retainer. When I get a PA, I think I will still carry my rods upright in holders on a crate. I like to be able to reach back and pick up a rod. That probably goes back to my center console days. I would have several rods rigged. No time for tying.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                    Mostly, the tangles can be reduced by taking the line, from where it comes from the tip to the hook keeper, grab it about mid way, pull it out a bit, spin the rod and wrap it around the rod a few times. That way there is no line to become tangled. Don't get me wrong, it helps to eliminate the tangles. When there is line there will be some tangles. However, that has eliminated most of the head aches for me. Sorry Bill, the tips will still rattle. Maybe some bubble wrap and velcro strips will stop that problem.

I would not want to carry any reels exposed on roof racks. Road dust, grit and grime will be forced into the reels by the wind. That is not good. I have just always put a cap on my trucks. I carry all of my equipment enclosed. Of course, I may have a problem with all of the 7.5 foot rods that I am now building.

Memory Maker: Hobie should put you on retainer. When I get a PA, I think I will still carry my rods upright in holders on a crate. I like to be able to reach back and pick up a rod. That probably goes back to my center console days. I would have several rods rigged. No time for tying.
                    You'll change you mind when you get you're PA .......... much easier to just pick it up when it is beside you .......... usually keep 2 rigged and 1 that I'm fishing but you could have more if you want ........

Comment

2 door car? That's tough, ski racks would probably your best bet, but I'd take the reels off like dogfish said. The PVC pipe + felt sleeve is usually pretty popular but you can still run the risk of damaging a guide unless you pack them in so that they don't bounce around a lot.

I built a pvc stand for the back of my Xterra. The butts of the rod sit on the stand and the middle go on a coat hanger rack. I put pieces of velcro on both to strap them in. The rods go over my head and I leave them rigged for whatever may come. I made this for Jbay last year because I had to bring rods for my friend to use too and it was my first time up there so I didn't know what to bring and brought way too much! It works well though...
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

rod transport

I have a Nissan Exterra and i have two slings that i bought from Cabelas and go across the inside of my truck near the roof, and holds the rods off the seats and out of the way

Comment

Bubble wrap is cheap. It works inside PVC or rod holders. You can work it in and around the rods. You can also lay the bubble wrap out at the tips, mid way and butts, space the rods out and roll them in the bubble wrap. Then use some velcro wraps to keep things in place. You can also use one of those cheap fleece blankets to lay the rods out and roll them in the blanket. Then place them in the PVC or rod tube. I use a large Plano tube with the fleece when I take rods on a plane. That way the rods don't rattle around in the tube. I have never had a problem while traveling with rods, even on airlines. That method should also work for PVC. Then place the PVC on the racks. Some of the larger under ground PVC may even hold a rod with a reel, a smaller set up to be sure. I place some extra foam at the tip section of the travel tube to cushion the rod tips, should they be forced into the end of the tube.

Of course the rods between the seats method is looking better and better. I would not want to take my reels off every time I went fishing. It is a little different when I travel, no so often.

Good Luck.
                          Last edited by DOGFISH; 12-30-2010, 01:16 PM.

Comment

im just going to stick with inside the car for now. but i did come across this that might help with tangles. For 20$ it seems like a good way to do it.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That's cool. Who makes it?
                              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                              X