Fishing in Scotland - great fun, but skunked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing in Scotland - great fun, but skunked

Last weekend I arrived in Scotland for several days of business meetings. They ended on Thurs, leaving me two extra days to visit with my friend Ming and his family in Glasgow. Today we went fishing. Ming has no experience with fishing, but his friend Adam fishes often. Adam came with us and let us use his rods and tackle. Ming's boss, Mark, came along with us too. Our crew was definitely an international blend. Ming is originally from China, Adam is recently emigrated from Poland, and Mark is a transplanted Englishman. All of them work in Glasgow. I rounded out the crew with my American credentials.

009.jpg 011.jpg 018.jpg

We drove 45 mins north of Glasgow to Loch Venachar, a small scenic lake known for its pike (larger cousin of the Chesapeake pickerel).
    010.jpg 013.jpg 022.jpg

We got a late start and found just one boat left at the rental shop. I was rather surprised to see a well-worn fiberglass skiff of about 18' powered by just a 4-hp motor. With four of us aboard the boat probably never got above 5 mph.

020.jpg 024.jpg

We spent the next 4 hours casting jigheads with 3" minnows or grubs but had no bites among us all day. The only fish we saw get caught were by an osprey and a heron. Despite the slow bite today, it was great fun fishing in another country. I have never before seen lambs running down to the water's edge to drink beside their mother while I was fishing.

023a.jpg

I return home to Maryland tomorrow and look forward to getting back on the Chesapeake.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Thanks for the report John, the Perch bite is heating up in the Severn, I kept them company while you were away.
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Hey John, I will be in OC this week if you can make it down ?

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
        Hey John, I will be in OC this week if you can make it down ?
        Greg -

I am in the Newark Airport on the way home. After I get caught up from being away for a week, I will see what my schedule and the weather look like this week. I will be in touch.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
        X