Algonkian Smallies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algonkian Smallies

I was invited to explore a new part of the Potomac, for me anyway, on Wednesday afternoon. Still on "retirement preview", aka unemployment, so decided to mix in more fishing while on the job search.

Beautiful day on the river:

IMG_0558.JPG

Started off with a nice catfish. Just about pulled the rod out of my hand!

IMG_0557.JPG

Next up, a smallie about 14".

IMG_0561.JPG

The best fish was caught by my friend, Bruce. It measured 19" and tipped a hand scale at 3lbs 9 oz!

IMG_0562.JPG

Awesome fish! A few other smallies, a few bluegills and another catfish later we were done. Great to meet a new fishing compatriot, explore new waters and what a way to spend an unemployed afternoon!

Nice fish. The last time I was up there I couldn't buy a smallie. I did get three Channel cats on a floating Rapala though.
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

A 19 inch smallie is a beast! Thanks for the great report. Good luck on the job search.

Comment

Nice job on the fish! Do I see a senko sticking out of his mouth? hahah

4 things for summer smallies: Senkos, Flukes, Tubes and Spinnerbaits

Comment

No...not a senko but you're close. It was a Case Magic Stick...3.5" green.

Comment

A Penrod special. Nice.

Originally posted by lordofthemanor View Post
            No...not a senko but you're close. It was a Case Magic Stick...3.5" green.

Comment

Nice fish !! I have six river trips under my belt and they've all been there. I actually came down there yesterday but after seeing your post on Riverbend, I decided to check out some new waters . Great habitat for smallies. I got snagged more there yesterday then all my trips combined at Algonkian. Had a good day. Nothing big but a lot of pullage on a grub . Can't wait to get back.
              John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Originally posted by Jig Monster View Post
                Nice fish !! I have six river trips under my belt and they've all been there. I actually came down there yesterday but after seeing your post on Riverbend, I decided to check out some new waters . Great habitat for smallies. I got snagged more there yesterday then all my trips combined at Algonkian. Had a good day. Nothing big but a lot of pullage on a grub . Can't wait to get back.
                Drop me a PM if you want to meet there sometime. I can show where a couple holes and channels where I've pulled some nice ones. They're not always there but always worth a look!

How have you been doing at Algonkian? Seems up there I can switch to the Hobie. That would be nice...

John

Comment

Threads like these make me realize how ready for retirement I am... (In my 20s still)
                  Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                  Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                  Northern Pike: 24 inches
                  Crappie: 12 inches
                  Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                    Drop me a PM if you want to meet there sometime. I can show where a couple holes and channels where I've pulled some nice ones. They're not always there but always worth a look!

How have you been doing at Algonkian? Seems up there I can switch to the Hobie. That would be nice...

John
                    Thanks, definitely will shoot you a pm next time I go there .Same goes for you next time you want to come up my way.

Haven't set any records fishing at Algonkian, but have always manage to catch one nice fish (16 to 18 1/2 ) every time Iv'e been. Habitat 's not the greatest there but have found a few deep holes and some submerged rocks as you've said , " always worth a look " . On weekends I won't fish there in the summer. Too many wave runners and boats.
                    John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Working...
                    X