Spinning reel size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning reel size

I'm looking at a new reel for the Yak on the Bay. Looking at 2500, 3000, 4000 sizes. What do you use or recommend?

With the onset of braided line, I have been using smaller reels. I have settled on the 3000 series. I tend to use all Shimano. The 3000 series seems to be a 2500 series body adapted with a larger spool. With braided line, that is plenty. I used to use the 4000 series reels with mono. With braid and the lighter blanks these days the 3000 keeps things light. For the Bay you really don't need that large a reel. The ocean, that may be a different story. Inshore fishing, is light tackle stuff these day. Braid has changed the look and feel of tackle. That should be plenty. If going after sailfish or tarpon, you may want to go a little larger. I have had no problems with the 3000 series in the bay, on the flats, inshore and from the kayak. Also, remember that you want to balance out the rod that you are going to use. That is also a consideration.

Good luck with that selection. New tackle is always fun.

Comment

I have some larger stuff that is good for the surf, so I'm set there. The one thought or question in my mind is lbs of drag. 15 lbs seems to be plenty since the Yak becomes part of the equation. Thanks Dogfish, a 3000 should be the right size.

Comment

When in open water, I like to hear the drag. I tend to fish a somewhat loose drag. I will use my finger to slow things down if too loose. Yes, I tend to use a somewhat larger reel for the surf also.

Comment

on the kayak ive been using 4000 series penn and okuma bait feeders, i like the separate drags when trolling around and live lining they give me time to grab the rod and get positioned for fighting the fish. the okuma avenger is the better of the 2, much smother and superior drag.also the 3000-4000 size fits a 7' im7 rod nicely, balanced.

Comment

The bait feeder feature is nice. Shimano just re-designed its saltwater bait runner reel, the Thunnus Ci. I was thinking about one of those for spring. Of course first I have to build the rods.

Comment

Dogfish, I am thinking of purchasing the thunnus ci4 where can I see them besides the internet, I haven't seen them in basspro or the sports stores?

Comment

just picked up a new okuma avenger bait feeder 50 and a 7' MH rated for 30lb and 4oz lures a real 2x4 for those big girls this spring. reel is on back order from cabelas and 30lb momoi is on the way. cant wait to get the skunk off

Comment

Originally posted by crawdad View Post
                  Dogfish, I am thinking of purchasing the thunnus ci4 where can I see them besides the internet, I haven't seen them in basspro or the sports stores?
                  I have not seen any at the stores yet. I have only seen them online and in catalogs. I am also thinking about one for spring.

Comment

I'm looking at the Okuma Cedros Baitfeeder
                    either the 40 or the 55 and a shore tackle rod 6'6" MH, never used a baitfeeder but the concept sounds good.
                    Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
                    LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                      The bait feeder feature is nice. Shimano just re-designed its saltwater bait runner reel, the Thunnus Ci. I was thinking about one of those for spring. Of course first I have to build the rods.
                      Hey guy ........... that's like mosquito hunting with an elephant gun ....... I have at leat 1 Thunnus's and that is over kill for the bay .......... I got mine for Cobia and off shore if I ever go again ...........

For jigging I usually use 2500's for open water, little heavier for structure, and baitrunners for livelining/chunking

Comment

They are now making a 4000 series Thunnus ci4. I think they are down sizing for braid. They look really nice. I know the older Thunnus was a huge thing. I have an older one also and used to have an older baitrunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucked In View Post
                          I'm looking at the Okuma Cedros Baitfeeder
                          either the 40 or the 55 and a shore tackle rod 6'6" MH, never used a baitfeeder but the concept sounds good.
                          i like my okuma avengers haven't used the credos but im sure you will like it. i would get a 7' rod for the yak its easier to fight a fish around the yak with a longer rod check out the whupping salt sticks at cabelas you wont find a rod rated as good for the price and a ten year warranty. i just picked up a 7' MH rated for 30# and 4oz lures even G Loomis or st croix rods dont match that and the shipping is great.

bait feeders are great like using a conv reel with lever drag and clicker

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                            i like my okuma avengers haven't used the credos but im sure you will like it. i would get a 7' rod for the yak its easier to fight a fish around the yak with a longer rod check out the whupping salt sticks at cabelas you wont find a rod rated as good for the price and a ten year warranty. i just picked up a 7' MH rated for 30# and 4oz lures even G Loomis or st croix rods dont match that and the shipping is great.

bait feeders are great like using a conv reel with lever drag and clicker
                            Sorry guy ....... I have a St Croix Premier Musky PM63 XHF ........ 6'6 .... 30-80 lb and 3- 8oz - ...... graphite ..... and feels like a feather ......... I think they have a lifetime warranty .......... excellent cond ......... about the same price used .......

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                              Sorry guy ....... I have a St Croix Premier Musky PM63 XHF ........ 6'6 .... 30-80 lb and 3- 8oz - ...... graphite ..... and feels like a feather ......... I think they have a lifetime warranty .......... excellent cond ......... about the same price used .......
                              sorry there memory i was only looking at saltwater spinng rods and 90% of the ones i saw only went to 5/8 lure for over 450 bucks

Comment

Working...
                              X