Eastern Bay Perch Jerkin 5/30/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eastern Bay Perch Jerkin 5/30/13

My neighbor has been inviting me to come fishing with him for quite a while. We finally hooked up, and fished on the Miss Violet headboat out of Kent Narrows. For $60, you get an all day bottom fishing trip. Bring your own bait, rods, tackle, etc. The bite started out heavy on good sized perch. As the day progressed, the captain continually worked to keep us on the fish. During slack tide we made numeorous drops, picking up a few keepers here and there. Bloodworm was the bait of choice. But I busted out one of my favorite jigging setups and got a few nice perch that way. Few spot were caught.

I ended the day with 35 perch (caught over 3x that amount), ranging from 8"-12". Got them all cleaned yesterday evening...butterflied most of them, filleted the 8 biggest ones for SAMwiches. It was a fun day of fishing. Reminded me of the pre-kayak days.

1" shy of a citation :-(

I gave some to my daughter's day care provider (who ALWAYS asks me for fish when she sees my kayak). I also am giving some to my panhandler friend that I see near my job. I'll probably cook some this weekend and vacuum seal the rest.
    <insert witty comment here>

thanks for the report. how many people were on the boat with you? all catching the same?
    sigpic

Comment

It was 13 of us. The catch was the same all around. I even threw out cut perch and cut spot in hope of a wandering striper, but no luck.

photo.jpg

Comment

samwichhhhhhhhhh time!

anybody catch any spot?
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Yeah, a few spot were caught. No huge numbers, but they're gonna be in full force soon I bet...

Comment

Originally posted by Grilled View Post
            samwichhhhhhhhhh time!

anybody catch any spot?
            Since I am new to salt water fishing in this area, what is it about spot that people keep asking about them lately?
            Laura (aka zeebyrd)
            Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

spot are used to live line for rockfish. they are rockfish crack!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
                spot are used to live line for rockfish. they are rockfish crack!
                +1

After I got my first kayak, my first trip was live lining at the bay bride with mytmouse.

Comment

Nice! Attack of the giant hand on that poor rockfish, or maybe it just was that small lol!

How deep of water were you in?
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
                  X