Upper Potomac Smallmouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Potomac Smallmouth

Monday from 11am-2:30pm. Caught a ton of dinks and a few in the 16" range. All on bluegill colored with gold blade spinnerbaits fished around ledges and small points, eddys, current seams. Caught a few on Jeff Little's finesse tubes, dark blue, in a few of the deeper holes just downstream from fast current worked slowly off the bottom. Water level unusually high and a little stained. Nice day out... can't wait for a little warmer weather and then it will be stanley ribbits, circle hooks n' flukes, senkos and tubes all summer.

16's on the Upper Potomac are quality fish! ...and the spinnerbait bite is great fun as the smallies will generally try to take the lure and your rod!
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Very Nice! I love Spinnerbait bait!

Hey Check this out!
      This Sat I was around harpers ferry area riding my bicycle on the towpath and hiking the MD heights trail. I saw this on top of the MD heights overlook.

It's the Doah and potomac.
      HF.jpg
      2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

That's the WVA water quality there.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Wicked picture, been there so many times but never seen it from that angle. Love me some upper potomac smallmouth. Really want to make it up to the Susquehanna... just can't beat the 15 minute drive to the upper potomac

Originally posted by Berto View Post

Hey Check this out!
          This Sat I was around harpers ferry area riding my bicycle on the towpath and hiking the MD heights trail. I saw this on top of the MD heights overlook.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7107[/ATTACH]

Comment

Nice job bro! Quick question, what area specific area is referred to when saying the upper Potomac. Even though I've lived in the area for years I started fishing a little over a year ago, and therefore began to venture out recently. So a lot of these locations are still new to me.

Thanks!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

The Upper Potomac is considered the section of the river above Great Falls. There is a lot of water and somewhere around 170 miles of river.
              If you can find a copy, Ken Penrod's book: "Fishing the Upper Potomac" takes you down the river, and covers the launch areas, major ledges and hazards, and fishing techniques for bass and catfish. While some of the information is a bit dated, i.e. the cabins at Lander are no longer there, the ledges and holes don't move.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                The Upper Potomac is considered the section of the river above Great Falls. There is a lot of water and somewhere around 170 miles of river.
                If you can find a copy, Ken Penrod's book: "Fishing the Upper Potomac" takes you down the river, and covers the launch areas, major ledges and hazards, and fishing techniques for bass and catfish. While some of the information is a bit dated, i.e. the cabins at Lander are no longer there, the ledges and holes don't move.
                Yes, the book Bignose mentions is THE book to get if anyone is interested in fishing the Upper Potomac for smallies. Gives great information about launch points with descriptions of miles of river.

Comment

If anyone wants to do a float trip up around Hagerstown give Archeryrob and I a shout. This is our home waters and would love to have some of you guys join us, anytime ! We each have trailers that we can run shuttle between the launch ramps. Those of you with Hobies will not need the mirage drive system. The water can be very shallow so bring a paddle.

Comment

x2 on this, great book, our family had the pleasure of fishing with him over the years, wealth of knowledge.

Originally posted by bignose View Post

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                      that's the wva water quality there.
                      ha!
                      Last edited by Berto; 05-29-2013, 04:53 PM.
                      2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Some good drop offs in there for catfish.
                        Originally posted by Berto View Post

Hey Check this out!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7107[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by gkreps View Post
                          If anyone wants to do a float trip up around Hagerstown give Archeryrob and I a shout. This is our home waters and would love to have some of you guys join us, anytime ! We each have trailers that we can run shuttle between the launch ramps. Those of you with Hobies will not need the mirage drive system. The water can be very shallow so bring a paddle.
                          I'd enjoy meeting up with some guys up that way. I did a pretty long float on the Doah early March and have been itching to get back to river fishing ever since.
                          -Jon
                          Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                          X