South River 12/10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South River 12/10

It wasn't that bad a day today. So I thought I would go out for a couple of hours. Left out of the marina, got out to my normal fishing areas, and no fish. I didn't see any fish on the FF. I didn't even put a rod in the water. I was going to veritcal jig fish only, but I didn't see any fish. I saw what may have been some bait fish, but they were not rockfish, small scattered marks.

The wind was comming in from the bay, right into the mouth of the river, and it was a bit rough. So I didn't linger long. Thought I would save some energy for tomorrow on the Severn. The water was cold, 36 degrees, the air not much better. I was warm, my cold weather system seems to work. However, Nanook of the North would have starved today. It was fun, just me the Buffle Heads and the Golden Eyes.

Maybe it will be alittle better on the Severn tomorrow. At least the wind won't be comming in right off the Bay.

Too bad the fish didn't cooperate. I wonder if this past cold snap moved them out of the river? It doesn't look like there are too many deep spots to hide out in.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I think the cold is what did it. It was nothing on the fish finder. That is a big difference from even last week. Last week you could see the fish on the bottom. Last week the fish were in all the usual places. Today, nothing. The water did get quite cold over the last week. I was reading 36 degrees on the FF. I think they have really moved off to deeper water.

Comment

below 40 the rock are deep, most are heading south in the channel out in the bay. some guys are catching big fish deep trolling the shipping channel but fish are far and few, i was hopping it would stay warmer but no luck just like this season

Comment

Awesome effort, guys! Way braver than me but... water temps too cccooold! In my combat surf days we used to quit or move south once water temps were <45 for 5 days or so. Might catch some schoolies but the bigguns are deep, have headed south or otherwise moved on to warmer waters.

Current CBBT reports on TF are mostly schoolies. A NC report shows some 30lbers: http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/show...d-the-Stripers

Water got cold quick. Weather reports say temps this December have been nearly 6 degrees below average. Water temps too, I'm sure. I think most bigguns kept on heading south. The big question is... where are the bunker (menhaden)? Find them... you'll find the big stripers.

Comment

I agree about the menhaden. As soon as they started to go, so did the fish. Friday, there was nothing down there to even drop a jig to. My season is over now. I've got to replace my electric motor plug and cable. I think I have pieced together the parts that I need to make it water tight, very water tight this time. The entire inside of the plug had melted. I guess that is what winter is for.

Good luck with all of those projects.

Comment

Working...
            X