5/17-18/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5/17-18/2013

SurfDog and I went to the Roosevelt Inlet to fish off of the kayak and Cape Henlopen to fish from the pier there. I caught a keeper flounder 18 inch from the inlet Friday night and John caught a keeper 18.5 inch flounder from the pier Saturday morning. All flounders were caught on a jig head with a 4 inch white Gulp swimming mullet. That was all the keepers before the winds began to pickup before the approaching rain. We called it a day at 10:30am on Saturday and headed home with a flounder each. Fishing was slow for the most part. I caught a pin fish, one 12 inch striper, 4 rays, and 9 houseshoe crabs.
    Attached Files

WTG Guys!
    GB

Comment

Nice flatties guys. I will make a few trips there this summeer

Comment

Nice catch there.

Outback 2015
        Maui

Comment

The other week I heard a guy quickly catch his limit of flounder off the CHSP pier. Not in numbers, but flatties are here. I'm hoping it'll pick up more within weeks.

Nice work. Thanks for the report.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

WTG guys! Are ya'll thinking of getting the season pass for CHSP?

Comment

Awesome going gents!
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

No pass for me. There are too many places to go, so I do not know if I am going to get the full use of a pass. Plus I have gotten 90% of my Flounders in and around the inlet, not CHSP.

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                  No pass for me. There are too many places to go, so I do not know if I am going to get the full use of a pass. Plus I have gotten 90% of my Flounders in and around the inlet, not CHSP.
                  But there are togs there too, and you can keep 5 (vs lesser numbers in MD and VA) when the season is open. Nice stripers are in the deep channels as well. And there's pier fishing. The Outer Wall also has good fishing spots to explore. CHSP is relatively close to our homes (vs VB and OC).....loads of opportunity....lol.....

BTW, how much is the season pass?

Comment

I bought the pass last time I was at CHSP for $54 dollars.
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Now THAT is a clear nosed skate
                      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

moc,
                        What is the technique you used? Cast out the jighead and drag/twitch it in?

Is it better to cast out live minnows? Or frozen shiners?

Am thinking about doing some surf fishing for flounder off the shore on the east side of the pier. Maybe several hundred yards from the pier. Any reason it not being as productive as fishing off the pier? The water is generally the same depth all around the pier and near the shore at about 8-10' I believe.

Anyone know about camping overnight? Like sleeping in the car at CHSP. I guess you just pay $8 a day entrance fee, right? Is the place patrolled by security during the night?

Comment

I used only Gulps with a jig head for a flounder. I never tried to catch flounder away from the pier since they like structure and drop offs. There is a drop-off near the end of the pier. To me the depth near the beach looked pretty shallow. I only saw fish/flounder being caught at the end. At the end of the pier, they were casting buck tails towards the broken pilings at the end and jigging the bait back. I did sleep for a few hours in my car. I did not see anyone patrolling the parking lot, but that does not mean that it won't change after Memorial Day. The entrance fee to CHSP is $8 cash that is placed in an envelope.

Comment

Tufnic, I have slept in my car plenty of times in the parking lot by the pier. So far I have not had anyone say something to me. Jigging gulp at night can be very productive for flounder. I've caught my biggest at 1:00 am. Plus there is less people there. If you have the space for it, cast straight down and walk along the fence jigging occasionally. This method covers alot of ground and has worked for me many times.
                            2012 Hobie mirage outfitter (RED)

Comment

Working...
                            X