Bay Bridge 12/4 Full Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bay Bridge 12/4 Full Report

Mdfisherkid and I made it to hemingways at around 830 saturday, and after dealing with a lost paddle that fell out of the truck on the way down we were on the water by about 930. Luckily a local store carried kayak paddles so it wasnt too big a deal, for us atleast. I can't speak for the people driving behind us. Anyway, we were a bit put off by the white caps and the temperature coming over the bridge but decided to give it a go.

The waves were probably every bit of 2 feet at times getting over 3 on the way out, paddling directly into the northwest wind. It was defintily not for the faint of heart. We were only making about 1.5 mph so it took quite a while to make it to our first spot. In an effort to try and keep drag down we both only trolled one rod, chris trolled a stretch 25 and i had out a tandem bucktail rig. (BTW trying to deal with two tandem rigs on my kayak in those temperatures in rough weather was a complete mistake.) We planned to troll along the south side of the south span up to the west rock pile and jig that area. Well, holding tight to the bridge pilings was nearly impossible with the wind so we were pushed off about 20 yards from the bridge itself. We marked fish in about 20 feet of water then but it was too rough to stop and jig so we made one pass and decided to try and make the shelter of the rocks. At about midway to the spot i wanted to turnback as i was down right exhausted but Chris convinced me to stick it out. peer pressure....

We arrived at the rockpile in time to see a seafox center console hookup with a small rockfish trolling past the south east corner of the piling. We got the jigs out and started working the corners of the area working the jigs coming upcurrent and drifting back. We marked a big school of fish holding tight to the area where the boat hooked up but didnt manage anything before they were gone. we didnt see anything else for the rest of the hour or so we stayed. I was using a 1.5oz silver stingsilver and chris was using a 3/4oz jighead with a chartreuse 5'' bkd. Another center console then caught another small fish on the same bkd but i assume with a heavier head. This was our first go with vertical jigging and we didnt figure it out right away. The wind was such that you could only make one bottom bounce before the line went past vertical. That spot has great structure and amazing bottom contours that certainly holds fish, maybe we just werent doing it right. We gave up on the spot and had lunch in behind the piling out of the breeze. Crabcakes and gatorade brightened my spirits considerably. FYI chris actually got out of his kayak on the rocks to pee, which was super dicey. but it can be done.

We started heading back towards kent island and trolled the north side of the north span and the wind was letting up a bit so it wasnt as brutal a paddle back in. I realized my initial tandem rig had gotten fouled somehow so i just cut the mess off and put out the other rod i had setup with a heavier bullet head setup. mistake. that was all jacked up as well. furious, i had the glass ghost xrap that dogfish suggested on a spinning rod i had planned to troll in shallower and decided i might as well put something out there. Zigzagging through the pilings i had 2 knockdowns in about 19 feet of water. That got me excited so i turned around and tried to see if i couldnt find fish around that depth and to my suprise i came across a tiny mark along one of the pilings with a number of smaller columns that come down in different directions. With the bow facing the western shore, into the wind, i dropped the silver stingsilver about 5 feet off the column and got hit as the jig fluttered down after the first bottom bounce. it was a small rockfish but enough to get the adrenaline flowing. I got another shortly thereafter along a similiar set of pilings in around the same depth. I had chris come over and start dropping his pink 2oz stingsilver and he started to catch them too. We then started marking a bunch of schools of fish on the north side of that north span and started wacking them. The fish were spread out between 18-23 feet of water. I lost my stingsilver being too aggressive against the pilings and switched up to a 1oz jighead with a 6'' charteuse bkd. It seemed like they were super aggressive with anything dropped right on their noses. there was a hole where fish seemed to hold consistently and i caught a fish at it just about each time i could find it on the depth finder. This all happened around 3pm and we took all the fish in about half an hour. We wanted to see if we could boat a keeper so we both headed about 50 yards north to the sewer pipeline that runs parallel to the bridge. We marked a few fish but didnt catch anything there. Sun was going down, feet were cold so we headed in. We tied as far as fish scores with 5 rock and 2 white perch each. Gotta keep it it a little competitive out there.

Vertical Jigging is definitly tough but it is apparently really effective. We ran into Shawn Kimbro from Chesapeakelighttackle.com out there fishing on his 27
    ' Judge CC Thunder Road at the pipeline. If you guys havent read his articles on light tackle jigging i would highly suggest you do so. We would have been completely lost without it. He used a really aggressive motion when popping the jig backup off the bottom which was impressive to watch. We went up and said hey and he said he was catching small fish just like we were in around the same depth. The trick was finding fish on the fishfinders. We had eels with us but never came across any schools big enough or any fishmarks big enough to want to mess with those suckers.

In that weather i probably wouldnt go out again without a vhf and a drift sock, that would have helped considerably. Heavy weight and braided line were also key. The fish are defintely still out there. We stopped at anglers before we headed out saturday and apparently a 50'' fish was brought in to the scale there friday afternoon from a boat fishing just below the bridge along the edge of the shipping channel.....and the fish was caught JIGGING. That is all the info the shop was given unfortunately. We havent given up fishing the main bay yet and I dont think you guys should either. You just have to be careful and be smart about it. Basically dont do what we did. I realize this post was quite verbose and if your getting to this line I thank you for putting up with my repetitive fish banter.
    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Fish banter is OK. Good report. Sounds like all in all, a good day. I have had those days, where I wonder why I had gone out in weather like that, but Hey, thats fishing. Makes for a memorable experience. I am going to have to slow down and start taking the jigging seriously. I need more confinence in that tactic. All the reports here and elsewhere, are about jigging. The fisherman comming into the store are all talking jigging. Stingsilvers seem to be the hot item. Glad you guys had some action. If the wind slacks up some this week, I may give jigging a try in the South River. I am always finding fish in all the usual areas, so that part should not be a problem. I guess some of these fish will winter over in those areas.

Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks for the report, and nice job catching in really tough conditions. I like hearing about what didn't work as well as what did work. It helps to put together a pattern.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Well i guess don't really need to add much to that report.....little wordy there.
        Again, nothing trolling. Even marked fish on the FF and trolled right over top of them and nothing. Only action was on vertical jigging and being first time I have fished like that took a while to figure it out.....and missed ALLOT of fish trying to learn. Wind and current made the learning curve even more steep but once I started to feel the bottom and figure it out was actually a very fun way to catch fish. Again, found the fish holding in about the 25' mark. And I am STILL sore from paddling against that wind.....tough day but a good learning experience.

Comment

Sounds like a tough/fun day out there! I chickened out with the wind and opted to save my fishing pass for another day. Taking the GF shopping wasn't nearly as much fun and I was thinking I should have been out there the whole time! Good to hear you guys got into some fish, hopefully this cold snap won't send them down for the winter.

Looks like I need to put a box of irons together.
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Kudo's to you guys for sticking it out! I drove by as you were getting ready to launch. The wind and waves convinced me to find someplace at least a little protected I still had to deal with the wind but it wasn't nearly as rough in the Severn! Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

Fisherkid, welcome to the party. I trolled over, over and over again, several schools of fish the last two times out. Only to have someone else come into the store and tell me of how they were catching fish on jigs in the same area. They just don't want to chase a trolled lure. I have been early to recognize this, but slow to change tactics. The pattern seems to be, when the menhaden go for the season, due to dropping temps, the stripers also start to slow down or swithch to another food source. So if silversides and shrimp seem to be their food of choice, then that could account for the jigging action. Also, many of the stripers may be up in the rivers for the food. It is also interesting to put together the patterns. But don't get so caught up in the patterns, like me trolling, that you don't want to change.

However, in my own defense, the glass ghost X-Rap is close to a menhaden. When the menhaden go, so must the glass ghost. Now that is my new pattern. The problem this year was that the trolling bite didn't start until late. Possibly due to the heat this last summer.

Good Luck.

Comment

Yeah, good report.

Credit to you guys for toughing it out, and you caught some fish. I think your experience will help us all be better fisherman. As I mentioned earlier, I decided not to launch the kayak and went home after feeling the wind and cold.

Thanks!
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

thanks for the great report. too cold for my old bones, hopefully the wind will die down soon

Comment

Working...
                  X