Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severn River 12/4 Hey Dogfish! That 15ft Trident you sold me can catch fish too ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River 12/4 Hey Dogfish! That 15ft Trident you sold me can catch fish too ;)

Woke up saturday with the intention of hitting the BB. Drove across the bridge and saw the white caps and started second guessing myself. Stopped for gas at the Valero by Hemingways and the wind convinced me to try somewhere else lol Went back across the bridge and over to the Severn and launced from Jonas green park I think it is called. Started fishing around 9:30 and trolled towards the bay hoping to mark some fish and then work them over vertical jigging. Trolled for a couple hours without any luck and made my way back to the bridge. As I got there I started marking bait balls and started vertical jigging. I was using a 2 oz butterfly jig with a Fluke tied on a couple feet up for a teaser. Hit a 20 incher right off the bat and then had a double! Drifted off th fish and when I found them again popped another double and then another single !! At this point it was 3 hours of trolling and 0 fish, 30 minutes of jigging and 6 Rock! Lost the fish again and made a trip to shore to warm up and hit the head and made my way back out. Same story as before, mark the fish drop down and bang, fish on! Fished until about 4 and ended up with 14 rock including 4 doubles and only one short fish. Also got a couple white perch. Caught all my fish just upstream from the bridge in 16-28 fow. Water temp was 44. Electronics were critical, had to be right on the fish or you were wasting your time. Good fishin

Chimo

Good fishing. Next time I go out, I am leaving the trolling rods at home. Wind or no wind, I am going to vertical jig. Well, I might take one trolling rod, for the time spent looking for fish. Did you read the the post on the other thread, about 12/3? Then, the salt in the wound, the guy who was also jigging in a spot where I had been trolling the day before. I had seen several schools of fish in that same area. I have a stock of Silver Buddies, Calcutta Buddy lures in silver and gold, Crippled Herrings in gold, and StingSilvers in gold and silver, no feathers. I now have an arsenal of jigs. I have used bucktail and rubber skirted jigs all my life but not vertical jigs. This is one old dogfish that is going to have to learn a new trick.

Wayne, were you using the same type jigs as on the South River, and did you catch anything on the small teaser? I now have plenty of those type flutter jigs. The guys at the Bay Bridge on Saturday only caught fish on jigs. The water is plenty cold now.

I should have kept that kayak for jig fishing. The Big Game does not like to vertical jig. I just can't seem to get it to stop. I guess I'll just have to teach it.

Thanks for the report. I have been hearing good reports, at the store, about the Severn.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 12-05-2010, 06:27 PM.

Comment

That's an awesome report!!! I chickened out with the wind and decided to save my fishing pass for another day. Great to hear you had so much success out there and good to know there are some fish out there still!

Did you get one of those butterfly jigs with the assist hooks? I got one back in the summer that I planned on jigging under the schools of blues, but I got distracted with live-lining... good idea with the teaser too

Good news, sounds like things up here aren't dead yet... I was thinking about throwing in the towel. How do you like the new ride? I really like the 13 footer, but sometimes wish I had the speed of the longer one. Great boat though, you'll have to post some pictures of it rigged out!
      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Awesome report, Wayne. Sounds like an awesome day, and that was one of the best reports I've heard from Saturday. You need to put on a jigging how-to for one of the M&Gs next year. I still need practice feeling the hit and setting the hook.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Dogfish, the 4 doubles were a fish on the butterfly jig and one on the fluke teaser. Tried 2 rods for a minute but with the wind it was to much Probably would have had a couple more doubles but I busted the teaser off trying to get a picture of both fish and was to cold to bother trying to re-tie both hooks

Redfish, I'm not sure what the hooks on the butterfly jigs are called but it is the 2 single hooks. Used 2 different colors and they both worked well. I like the 15ft trident but I don't think it is as fast as my FS 10. It was a heck of a lot nicer ride in the wind and waves yesterday though!

Dinner

Ictalurus, Vertical jigging is something I do a lot of ice fishing so this has been kind of a natural progression but I dont know if it is something I am doing or just the fact I am getting lucky Electronics and locating fish is the first thing and then using braid and keeping tension on your line will help you detect the bites. Good Fishin

Chimo

Comment

Chimo- that's the jig I got this summer intending on jigging under schools of blues for rock... funny thing though, I wasn't sure which end you attach your line to! All the pictures I saw online had it attached to the front of the jig and I thought that was crazy. I stuck with my krockodile all summer instead since it seemed to work fine and I changed the hook to a single after a run in with a blue in my crotch. I'll have to dig that thing out for the next trip.

You're little kayak was fast man, I remember that one day this summer you caught up to Jack and I like it was nothing. Granted we were going incredibly slow, but still, that thing was quick.
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

You know, I had a couple rock take the jig in pretty deep at first... Maybe if they are being super aggressive or taking the jig in to far, I'll try tieing on from the other end. Maybe it would eliminate some of the deep hooking Have to keep that in mind for the next time! Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

I was also thinking of trying a drop shot rig on those fish the next time out. I have some small flukes in baby bass color, which look alot like a silverside. It is as if I can go right to several schools of fish now. They seem to be in the same holes. I am going to rig several rods with different types of jigs. Your right, it is too cold to re-rig. I am also going to try some small shrimp bodies. Looks like trolling is pretty much over for the season.

Yeah, the sit on tops are more heavy, but that one is made for big water and to paddle. Good you can get out in heavy water. Looks as if you gave it a good test. The small boat you have is fast. I remember all the paddling you did at the meet and greet. I'm glad the Severn is as good as the tales I have been hearing. I was wondering why others have ignored Jonas Green. You seem to know how to sniff out the fish.

Maybe everyone should get together at Jonas Green Park for the December meet and greet. It is close by. Everyone could then go over to the Severn Inn, which is within walking distance. Just a thought, just a thought. I hate to see the group not meeting in December. It is a good group to fish with.

Good luck.

Comment

Sweet report and beautiful fish chimo. i had no idea people used buttefly jigs in the bay. i always thought that was more of a bluefin tuna/bottom fish thing. and yeah ive only seen them rigged with an assist hook dangling from the top. pretty cool to learn something new like that. im going to pick up a few before my next foray into the bay. did you bleed your fish on your kayak right away or what?
                  Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

mdmakaira410, I don't know if anyone is actually using the butterfly's in the bay they looked good and were the size I was looking for so I bought them. I have heard of people using them for Largemouth Bass so I figured it wasn't to much of a stretch to think a striper would take one. As for the bleeding the rock, yes I did it in the yak. It was cold enough that I didnt think they needed to stay on a stringer and I was just putting them in the foot rest area on my yak and it helped stop them from flopping around. Good fishin'

Chimo

Comment

great work wayne! i also have only seen and used the butterfly jig the other way around but lenny rudrow says he puts a single hook on the bottom when using them and catches more fish that way. they say any thing will hit those jigs.

Comment

So he puts the hook on the botom with the eye facing up towards the surface? Man, we need to get Lenny Rudow on this site.
                        Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
                          great work wayne! i also have only seen and used the butterfly jig the other way around but lenny rudrow says he puts a single hook on the bottom when using them and catches more fish that way. they say any thing will hit those jigs.
                          Well ....... just email/call Lenny ........ I'm sure he would come on here ...... he's a REALLY nice guy ..........

Comment

Originally posted by mdmakaira410 View Post
                            So he puts the hook on the botom with the eye facing up towards the surface? Man, we need to get Lenny Rudow on this site.
                            correct, his technique is to drop it to the bottom then snap it up keeping contact with the jig on the way down working it up through the water column then dropping it back to the bottom. sharp snaps from 900 to 1100 or 3 to 1 if you left handed. most hits are on the way back down as they flutter back.

Comment

That did it, I am putting hooks on both ends, so I can get the fish comming and going. We don't need Lenny, we have Wayne. We'll have to get Wayne to give up some of his secrets.

I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and possibly again on Saturday. Just jigging, just jigging.

Comment

Working...
                              X