Prettyboy White Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prettyboy White Perch

Fished Prettyboy Reservoir (northern Baltimore County) today from shore at Beckeysville Bridge, 5-16-13, 11:00am-1:30pm. I was targeting spawning white perch, and I found them. I had to try many spots before I finally found them. I kept 11 keeper wperch and one bluegill. Wperch were all cookie-cutter 9.5” long, also caught a few smalls. Wperch have been in this reservoir for many years and that’s about as big as they get now. Perfect case of over population.

I was using worms with no weight. Didn’t have to cast more that 20’-30’ to get into them. Normally, the spawn is in full swing during the first few days of May. But this year they were nearly 2 weeks late. Half were males shooting milt all over the place and half were females heavy with very ripe eggs.

Blooming wild azaleas on the shores of Prettyboy have always been the indicator flower that the wperch are in full spawning mode. Last spring they were in full bloom on May 4th. This spring the full bloom is May16th, so yeah, this spring is indeed a chilly spring.

Prettyboy 5-16-13.jpg
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Nice mess of perch you got there
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Look at them googly eyes.

Comment

Working...
      X