17 year cicada invasion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 year cicada invasion

I hope the carp top water bite is like it was last time cicadas were here they don't act like carp they act like a combination between a shark and a peacock bass it is more fun!

do you use cicadas as bait?
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
      do you use cicadas as bait?
      No I don't I'm sure you could use them.Any small top water lure and do your self a favor put single hooks on with no barbs the action is quick and continuous.

Comment

sounds like fun. thanks for the tip.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Last time they were around, I had great success with a small black Abrogast Jitterbug.

You can use the cicadas as bait but they are a pain in the butt to cast. You can dab them with a long light rod. Just like cane pole fishin'.

Comment

I think any small top water lure would work. Light line static rigged on a cane pole wow? I was wondering how do you land a 6 pound fish or better with this rig? I assume you are bank fishing when you thought of this?

Comment

I'm sure if you fly fish you can use a black popper or some other top water fly. That would be quite a fight on a 7-8wt fly rod.
              Jeff B
              Perception Sport 12.5 Caster

Comment

You are right and a good time to practice for me.They have so much food I guess they take a predator like feeding pattern that they seriously hit top water any thing like peacock bass.Fishing in a clear lake watching the bite,and having your yak towed around.Thats miller time for me how cares if you can't eat them.

Comment

Originally posted by One more cast View Post
                  I think any small top water lure would work. Light line static rigged on a cane pole wow? I was wondering how do you land a 6 pound fish or better with this rig? I assume you are bank fishing when you thought of this?
                  You can do this from a kayak or canoe. I have done this, using an 8 1/2 foot Bass Pro Crappie rod. Down south, they fish for bass and crappies with a long pole. Yes, it will be hard to pull a big fish out of cover with a soft rod, but who says that you need a limp noodle?
                  With a carp, once you get them in open water, prepare for a sleigh ride!

BTW, ditto to using barbless hooks.

Fly rod guys, a black deerhair bug, the uglier the better, works great.

Comment

Rainy days and fish tales the truth is one day each will get you wet.

Comment

I don't know if its the water source or type of carp... but in the Ukraine carp is a common food source. And it does not taste bad. Maybe its has to do with the water clarity and not getting them from a muddy water... or the fallout from Chernobyl that cleanses the fish. ;-)
                      But they chunk it up, dip it in an egg batter and pan fry it. I was really surprised.

Comment

Well If you have ever filleted one of the Maryland common carp caught on a pristine drinking water reservoir where the contamination is very minimal if any. The flesh is like that of bloodshot meat.It is strong tasting even after bleeding ,soaking and cutting the darkest flesh away.But when your hungry and McDonald's is 500 miles away at best or in the Ukraine.I guess it would be considered food.

Comment

Originally posted by bignose View Post
                          You can do this from a kayak or canoe. I have done this, using an 8 1/2 foot Bass Pro Crappie rod. Down south, they fish for bass and crappies with a long pole. Yes, it will be hard to pull a big fish out of cover with a soft rod, but who says that you need a limp noodle?
                          With a carp, once you get them in open water, prepare for a sleigh ride!

BTW, ditto to using barbless hooks.

Fly rod guys, a black deerhair bug, the uglier the better, works great.
                          My daughter has a cane pole from BPS...we love it for pan fish but I don't think I would try to take a carp w/ it...however I may go out back, cut down a few pieces of bamboo, and use a stockier portion of it, tie a piece of heavy mono, clip the wings on a few cicadas and start dipping, that would have to be awesome
                          Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Originally posted by One more cast View Post
                            Well If you have ever filleted one of the Maryland common carp caught on a pristine drinking water reservoir where the contamination is very minimal if any. The flesh is like that of bloodshot meat.It is strong tasting even after bleeding ,soaking and cutting the darkest flesh away.But when your hungry and McDonald's is 500 miles away at best or in the Ukraine.I guess it would be considered food.
                            I remember my Old World grandparents keeping a carp in the bathtub to "get the mud out".

Carp recipe:
                            skin (don't bother trying to scale a carp without pliers) and cut into sections.
                            Build a wood fire surrounded by flat rocks.
                            Place the carp on a pine plank and cook next to the fire for about an hour.
                            After cooking, throw away the carp, and eat the plank.

Or eliminate the middle man and eat the cicadas.

Comment

(That's original ) It is true they do need a special type of consumer lets say.

Comment

Working...
                              X