Information needed on kayak fishing Charleston Harbor and surrounding areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information needed on kayak fishing Charleston Harbor and surrounding areas

My daughter just graduated from college, and will be working permanently in Charleston, South Carolina. The family and I were just there for a few days, and we love the area. While touring, I caught site of what looked like some good waters around Charleston Harbor and up to Georgetown for kayak fishing.

Has anyone ever fished that area? I 'd like to take my kayak down there in August or September and do some serious fishing. My daughter went flounder fishing with a friend, and he caught a 21 inch flounder surf casting in one of the inlets. I am sure this is prime red fish territory as well.

Are there any guides, or groups like this I could hook up with down in the Charleston area? Thank you,

http://kayakfishsc.com/

Excellent guide from what I've heard. I had a trip booked with him last spring that had to be cancelled. I'd be worth your money to hire him before fishing a new area. It'll likely lessen your learning curve greatly.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Great, thanks R.D.!

Comment

I don't remember the names of the spots to launch, but if you want to catch some redfish check out the Wando river side. I used to launch from a private community on Daniel Island. It's been a few years since I have fished down there, but that was always the better producer for redfish. There are a bunch of kayak fishing forums focused on that area, you can probably find info on there. Also, check out the Copahee Sound if you can. I hear it is tough to fish, but can be very rewarding!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Look up John Crislip. He is a friend of a friend and will put you on the fish. I can get you some more info if you need it.
          Hobie Outback
          WS Tarpon
          IG: #liveyakfish

Comment

It's all good guys! I have a few months to plan. From what I see, the area is a bit like Chincoteague; your basic barrier islands, with swamp land or old rice paddies between the islands and the main peninsula comprising greater Charleston. It's a helluva town, some nice culture, history, great restaurants that are fairly reasonable for what you're getting. And all within some good lookin' waters. My little girl made a nice choice!

Comment

Working...
            X