Chsp 5/10/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chsp 5/10/13

Man oh man, what a day. I was on a mission to get a keeper tog before the closure of the Delaware season. The weather finally allowed us to hit the water in comfort. It was myself, Foursteps24, mytmouse, and Fish. We launched, and headed to the spot we fished last time. There was a boat near our target holes. It was a nice couple also fishing for tog. I asked the wife how things were going. "Slow" was her reply. I told her we will bring the luck.

This was Steve's (Fish) first time fishing for tog. We got him set up with rigs, a suitable rod and reel. We showed him how to properly bait the hooks, and showed him the honey holes. On mytmouse's first drop, FISH ON! A feisty 14 incher. Within minutes, we were all catching tog. Most of the early fish were undersized, but fun action nonetheless.

Steve fished beside me when he hooked into his first tog ever. We frantically yelled at him to reel it in! The look on his face was priceless. It was just short, but a fun fight for a once tog virgin. As he fought that fish, I got the signature "tap-tap" on my green crab. The best tog battle I've ever had ensued. I was completely bowed up, with drag being pulled. I pulled up a FAT 19 incher. This was my first keeper tog.

A short while later, I moved to another hole. After a chum offering to the tog gods, I dropped my green crab down. After a few seconds...slammed by another keeper tog. This one was just big enough at 15.5" on the hog trough. Two keepers within 40 minutes of launching.

Wanting to try to find different holes, I explored the rest of the inner wall. I encircled the entire wall. Few hits here and there, but no hook-ups.

I met back up with the crew after about an hour of exploration. Much to my delight, Steve got TWO keepers. His first time togging, two keepers!! I am glad that we were able to put him on the fish, and also I was glad that he had some table fare to take home.

Mytmouse caught a BUNCH of fish...like around 15 of them. But they all fell short of the keeper mark. Me, foursteps, and Fish ended the day with 2 keepers each. It was a fun day! I took vid....but I'm too tired to bother with the footage lol
    <insert witty comment here>

CHSP never seems to disappoint. Got my first keeper togs last week as well after years of trying, looking forward to your vid as well.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Nothing like a good day of fishing,nice going guys.

Comment

Very nice, I'm tempted to go next weekend just for C&R and I could always try for flounder....
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

No pic?!?! That's almost a yak cardinal sin.....lol....

Anyway, good work. I went to CHSP Thurs morning and caught a 14" short tog within five minutes at the Inner Wall. After that, the bite went dead the rest of the day I even tried the Outer Wall.

I also jigged for flounder. Nothing.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I got pics and vid. Just haven't had time to do anything. Family road trip to nc today...surprise BBQ for my dads 60th bday.

Comment

Steve caught this tog on THIS rod. (this was his back up rod after snapping the bass pro graphite rod...that I planned on giving him at the end of the trip lol

My first keeper tog

Comment

Comment

Got them filleted...

My helper in the kitchen...

This is the best fish I've tasted. I NOW understand...

Comment

Those tog filets look biblical.
                    Dave
                    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

what kind of rod and reel you using

Comment

Nice pics.....now you're talkin'. Good to see some pretty happy guys with togs
                        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by lobo29 View Post
                          what kind of rod and reel you using
                          I used an old cabelas brand e-glass rod. Basically a 7' MH-H rod with a stiff backbone and fast action tip.

Comment

WTG Fellas!
                            Thats how you roll!
                            GB

Comment

I am officially hooked to tog fishing. I had a blast out there. I am a little upset that I have just gotten into Tog fishing. They fight real good and they taste even better. Believe the hype next time you hear about eating tog. The first tog I caught earlier in the spring I broiled it and it was delicious. Yesterday I tried it deepfried and hands down in my opinion this is the best fried fish Ive ever had. Without me saying anything my wife said the same thing. Ive never seen her look on my plate for more food. LOL! I took that time to put my bid in for a lot more tog trips when the season comes back. I said " Baby I will catch YOU some more when the season opens again". I got the green light already from the wife. Ive been using my Tsunami Airwave with an Abu Garcia 6500 and this combo is perfect for toggin. Hope to get back for some flounder soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X