a little after work fun with a football jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a little after work fun with a football jig

Hit a local Maryland Reservoir after work last night. Only landed 3 bass in 2.5 hours but one was a nice one.

A quarter ounce football jig, bluegill skirt with a Baby Paca Craw trailer in "Alabama Craw". One thing I love about kayak fishing is that this one hit about 10 feet off the nose of the kayak in 8 feet of water. Stealth, your name is kayak!

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Nice Dave,

I got over 20 today at my lake, but nothing over 18".. Lost one bigger trying to get it out of some brush, the fish were super active. All on a Kanan Lures Aquarelic Swimbait and a DT 6 Crank in smash color.

Comment

nice job Matt! what is Rapala waiting for to put you on their pro staff!
      Dave

Comment

Dave that looks like shape of largemouth you usually catch! I need to figure out how to fish that type of jig.
        Do you fish that type of jig on a hard bottom only? What happens when you fish the jig in grass, weeds, or on a soft bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
          Dave that looks like shape of largemouth you usually catch! I need to figure out how to fish that type of jig.
          Do you fish that type of jig on a hard bottom only? What happens when you fish the jig in grass, weeds, or on a soft bottom?
          I'm coming to the conclusion that if at all possible a football head jig is the best for crawling and bumping around on the bottom. That head scuttles around down there stirring things up, bouncing off of objects and attracting attention to itself. Football heads do have a tendency to hang in wood and to dredge up stuff (like weeds and other muck). In those cases you have to go to an Arkie head or a weedless bullet head type jig but I have been trying the football head first.

Once the weeds really develop I start having better success with big plastic worms on Confidence Baits Draggin Heads.
          Dave

Comment

Nice Job Dave!
            2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Great catch Dave, looks like things are heating up!
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice Chunk Dave!
                Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

back out on my local reservoir today, caught 6 bass, this was the best one:

Culprit Fax Max worm (Watermelon) rigged on a 1/4 ounce Confidence Baits Draggin Head
                  Dave

Comment

Dave, do you order the Confidence Baits Draggin Heads online or have you found them in stores locally?

Thanks,
                    Mike
                    Mike
                    Feelfree Lure 11.5
                    Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Mike, I pour, paint and assemble them in my garage. The website is Confidencebaits.net.

Jeff
                      Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

Comment

Nice work!!! Man thats a pig of a bass!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Dave, do you order the Confidence Baits Draggin Heads online or have you found them in stores locally?
                          I've never seen anything like them in stores (Basspro, Dick's, etc.).They are different than a weighted swimbait hook. I order them online at the Confidence Baits website. They ship from Maryland via USPS so I get them pretty quick.

http://www.confidencebaits.net/

That is a 7.5" worm on the 1/4 ounce size. I will put a 10" worm on the 3/8 ounce size.

I really like rigging big worms on those draggin heads. Those heads eliminate the line twist you can get with a standard texas rigged plastic worm. Also because you have direct contact with your lure the bass has less chance to swallow the soft plastic. When you have a good sized largemouth take a plastic worm on a sliding bullet sinker they can vacuum that lure down their throat before you are even aware that you had a strike.

I prefer a worm that has a flat side. The worm will wobble on the descent with a draggin head and sometimes that seems to be what the bass want.
                          Dave

Comment

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
                            Nice work!!! Man thats a pig of a bass!
                            Thanks! That one ate her Wheaties that morning cause she did a really good job of towing me and the yak around and around.
                            Dave

Comment

Thanks for the info Dave. I just ordered a couple sets, looking forward to trying them out.
                              Mike
                              Feelfree Lure 11.5
                              Ocean Kayak Zest Two EXP

Comment

Working...
                              X