Who was at CHSP yesterday? 5/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was at CHSP yesterday? 5/5

I was fishing on the pier and could barely stand the wind. then I saw two Yakkers out there and didn't envy them! Did you guys Have any luck?
    2012 Hobie mirage outfitter (RED)

i was out there sunday with no luck. too windy. i started heading out to the second wall, made it half way but after almost flipping twice i decided to turn around since i didnt have any of my gear leashed down. it was pretty insane, propably the worst i've seen at henlopen. Were u the guy jigging for flounder? i talked to some guy in the morning and he told me 4 20" flounder were caught that morning off the pier.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I was in a blue jacket jigging for flounder from about 11 am to 5 pm. Caught one 18.5" and lost one about 19-20". (couldn't get him over the rail soon enough). I said the same thing about the wind. I dont believe I have ever seen it that strong there. three Guys fished next to me in the am and saw a 21" caught and measured, and a second one similiar in size landed shortly before that.

Hopefully I'll have a kayak again soon so I can join you guys since I sold mine in the fall.

Comment

windy weekend

I was out on 5/3 and planned on checking out the inner wall but the wind and current were so bad I had a hell of a time making ground. I put in next to the fishing pier but was blown almost to the next pier east. I tossed our anchor and fished for awhile till the wind and tide died down. I managed to only bother a bunch of horseshoe crabs, skates and dogs but I kept one to grill since he ate all my bait. First dogfish I grilled but he tasted just fine.

100_0478.jpg
        Ride 135 Green
        Big Tuna Orange
        12ft Bote HD
        Outback Blue with Orange Deck

Comment

Originally posted by babiak View Post
          I was out on 5/3 and planned on checking out the inner wall but the wind and current were so bad I had a hell of a time making ground. I put in next to the fishing pier but was blown almost to the next pier east. I tossed our anchor and fished for awhile till the wind and tide died down. I managed to only bother a bunch of horseshoe crabs, skates and dogs but I kept one to grill since he ate all my bait. First dogfish I grilled but he tasted just fine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6751[/ATTACH]
          Ha, fair enough. I dont know if I could eat one of those. Just past the section of the pier where it is first fenced off is a great spot for keeper flounder. I would cast it between the pilings and jig around gulp. Caught my biggest flounder there.

Comment

YakQuest,
            Didn't think many people did that - jig for flounder off of shore/pier using a surf rod (or did you use a shorter rod?). I guess you keep the line taut with a paramid at the end and jig/twitch the line. Maybe slowly drag/jig it in. Interesting. I would have figured you might use live minnow or frozen shiner. Anyway, good to hear flounder are biting there. Hopefully this year the bite is better than last year.

I heard dogfish is pretty tasty. I want to try it, but every time I catch one I say, "Nahhh, not today...maybe next time."

Grilled,
            You're a brave guy to even attempt to go to the Outer Wall in those conditions. I was there Saturday, and wanted to go badly, but wx was too rough so I stayed at the Inner Wall.
            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
              YakQuest,
              Didn't think many people did that - jig for flounder off of shore/pier using a surf rod (or did you use a shorter rod?). I guess you keep the line taut with a paramid at the end and jig/twitch the line. Maybe slowly drag/jig it in. Interesting. I would have figured you might use live minnow or frozen shiner. Anyway, good to hear flounder are biting there. Hopefully this year the bite is better than last year.

I heard dogfish is pretty tasty. I want to try it, but every time I catch one I say, "Nahhh, not today...maybe next time."

Grilled,
              You're a brave guy to even attempt to go to the Outer Wall in those conditions. I was there Saturday, and wanted to go badly, but wx was too rough so I stayed at the Inner Wall.
              I used smaller spinning rods. 6 1/2 ft with 1/2 oz bucktail and white or chartreuse swimming mullet gulp. i cast straight down and walk along the fence slowly pulling it along and jigging it occasionally. Sometimes I use minnows but Then you catch alot more junk fish. Carolina rig works well with live minnows. sometimes I also use bobbers 4 to 6 feet above the hook and let the minnow swim around. That method works well when the wind/tide isnt so bad.

I suggest drifting through the lewes canal by yak for flounder. There are some big ones being caught right now. If you time the tides right you dont have to do much paddling.

Comment

I may try that method one of these days when I'm on shore/pier.

I've fished RI a lot last year. I jigged along the channel (sometimes drifting) and caught many flatties. My biggest was 20". Overall, fairly productive. Not sure when I'm going to start there again. I'd like to try OC Inlet, and of course the 50 and 90 bridges, soon.

Hey, have you fished the Outer Wall? I've done it a few times last year on the yak, but have not been too successful. I still need to explore and find the hot spots. I do know bigger ones can be caught out there.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                  I may try that method one of these days when I'm on shore/pier.

I've fished RI a lot last year. I jigged along the channel (sometimes drifting) and caught many flatties. My biggest was 20". Overall, fairly productive. Not sure when I'm going to start there again. I'd like to try OC Inlet, and of course the 50 and 90 bridges, soon.

Hey, have you fished the Outer Wall? I've done it a few times last year on the yak, but have not been too successful. I still need to explore and find the hot spots. I do know bigger ones can be caught out there.
                  I have never been to the wall, but that is something I want to do when it gets a little warmer out. I also did not quite go out into the inlet yet. I had a 2 person kayak and didn't want to venture out that far with inexperienced passengers. I sold that, looking to pick up a new one soon. Then I'll be ready to go to the wall.

OC is great, but it can be tough to navigate with all those boaters out there. I'll be down middle of June in OC fishing by the airport behind assateague.

Comment

Working...
                  X