CHSP 5-4-13, Sat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP 5-4-13, Sat

Met ComeonFish there and we were on the water after 9 am. M_Duong60 joined us later in the morning. The day was mostly sunny and a bit breezy, but we were protected on one side of the Inner Wall. Air temp about 60 deg. The water was murky.

Using green crab, Ming caught the first tog. I think it was almost 20". Joe and I followed with some keepers using shrimp and blue crab.

I wanted to go to the Outer Wall, but it was too rough. I did go on the rough (video) north side of the Inner Wall, but I didn't stay long. Marked a lot of fish there, but no takers.

It was about 4 pm when Minh had to leave. He had a couple keepers. I caught over a dozen togs (with four keepers 15, 16, 16, 17"). I released the small fat 15" female. Joe and Minh also caught a lot of shorts, but they ended up with keepers too.

It was about 5 pm when I had my third and final keeper in the bag. Joe had two. For the next 2 1/2 hours, we were trying so hard to get the last keeper. We get tap-taps and set the hook, but we kept getting shorts. The wx was getting bad. Chops were up. Wind picked up and blew right into our faces. It was cold. We were both shivering. This late afternoon wx was not suppose to happen.

We were determined to get the last keeper. The togs were biting, so Joe used all kinds of very old frozen bait. In fact, I think he used them all up. I used up almost six blue crab. We lost a lot of rigs too. Anyway, it was getting late, we were cold and decided to call it. We didn't get the last keeper. We were on shore before 8 pm after 11 hours on the water.

There's more. Minh and Joe will tell their story. Of course, Joe will have his cool video.

My first video....short clip....lol.....not like Joe's interesting videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTxkfKX64vQ
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tufnik; 05-05-2013, 02:29 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

This is my first video, so can someone tell me how to load it? It was originally recorded as a .MOV file. I used Windows Movie Maker to make a short clip and it saved it as a .wlmp file. MKF doesn't recognize the file for upload to this forum.
    Last edited by tufnik; 05-05-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

you might have to use youtube or viimeo. Uploading it there then linking it might work
      Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Nice going. I hope to get out there this week, weather & workload permitting...
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
          you might have to use youtube or viimeo. Uploading it there then linking it might work
          Ok, did it. Video is now in Post above. Thanks!

Comment

11 hours on the water is a very long day. You guys are really hard-core. Good job on the togs.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Way to go get em!!! I was hoping that vid would have captured you pulling one up so I could hear what you said when you caught it!! LOL I am hoping to get out there before the season closes... but I gotta see what's going down at work first.

Comment

Steamed Shrimp Works, Possibly Even Better than Fresh Shrimp

It was a long day loaded with fun.
                One thing I learned this time was that steamed shrimp (I prepared 3+ weeks ago) worked very well. A zip bag of a dozen of the steamed shrimp has been refrozen twice earlier because I didn't use it during the past two trips. After ran out of 2 dozen of frozen shrimp, I used the cooked shrimp. I caught 4 togs on steamed shrimp. I felt that steamed shrimp are as good as fresh shrimp, or possibly better. Next time, I will bring 2 dozen of steamed shrimp (and Old Bay) to confirm that tautog love steamed shrimp.

I also used frozen blue crab. I vacuum-sealed 24 blue crab quarters in each bag in December last year to test if frozen blue crab over 4 months would work well for tautog in this spring. I brought one bag of 24 quarters (which was also re-frozen twice because I didn’t use it during the last trips).
                After I ran out of the steamed shrimp, I tested the frozen blue crab. I couldn’t land any togs but I had bites. I did confirm that the frozen blue crab works last year after Tufnik mentioned and confirmed.
                I need to do more testing on the frozen blue crab that have been frozen over 5 months

I was very glad that Minh caught two keeper on his first try. One of mine was 20". I think one of Minh's was 20" if laid on a flat surface. I placed the frisky togs on my lap when I measured them with a flexible ruler.

The fishing log:

Joe
                Last edited by ComeOnFish; 05-06-2013, 08:02 AM.
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Another cool video, Joe.

I didn't hear you call me when I was out in the rough deep water. When I came back, you guys were gone. I figured you went back to "the spot." Anyway, I'm glad you got the chance to try out all the different baits, even the very old ones. Interesting and unexpected results - this is good info for future fishing.

Also, it was fun watching you "battle" the togs in the hole. You were saying, "#%X!a%," after consecutive misses.......lol....... Then, you had to bring out the "big gun" rod. It was "man versus smart tog" ......lol.......

It was very cold in the late afternoon and early evening, but it was a fun day. I was really hoping we'd catch that last keeper.
                  Last edited by tufnik; 05-06-2013, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Yes Joe is correct my tog was close to 20' laid flat it either just made 20 or was 19.98'. When I left I think I caught about 6 total tog only 2 being keepers. It was fun fishing with you two and fishing from the yak is much different than from shore in being that there are less snags. Anyway thanks for letting me get into my first keepers they were very tasty.

When I used shrimp I got very frustrated because the taps on my rod weren't like the "tap taps" like I was used to. Not sure if it was the same for you but I was getting a concession if quick taps which kept catching me off gaurd. I think that the cooked shrimp would be harder than the raw? Seems like it would be ripped off easier. Anyway thanks again for the fun day
                    Last edited by M_Duong60; 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM.
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Minh,
                      Your 7' surf-casting Ugly Stick Tiger Rod with a Spinning Reel with mono line wasn't a good combo for tog fishing. You were catching togs in 5-9' of water. Your tackles won't work well in 30+ feet of water. In July, take my muskie rod with bait-casting reel with braided line. Togs will be in 20+ feet of water when the water is warm.

Tufnik,
                      I guess I stop learning French.

Redfish,
                      The Shimano Tescata (MH power and fast action) from you worked well in CHSP. I put Shimano Curado on it. I could set the hook with one hand effortless. I thought it was too flexible but it worked well. When I came home I compared the rod with Quantum Torsion (Medium power and medium action - which you gave to me last year). They are very similar except the Quantum came with short butt section from factory. So I am planning to take these two rods to CHSP for comparison next time

Joe
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

+1 on Joe's comment. I think your combo is too heavy, Minh. You can get by with a smaller spinning reel. Use 50# braid or 25# mono (I prefer and use mono). If you use mono, maybe up to 100 yds is enough. I have 60 yds on my baitcaster (BC). Your rod seems too heavy and stiff. You need a better tog rod. Also, you may want to try BCs. I think you'll like it once you get use to it. I used spinning reels for 40 years, then I tried BCs. I really like them now, and they are ideal for yak fishing.

Comment

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to buy a new rod, but I guess your right about my rod being stiff. I still felt the bites though and was easy to pull the fish out of the rocks. The thing is, is that I have had that rod for a few years and haven't found a good use for it yet so maybe I should sell it? as for the reel it was just my surf reel that I stuck on because all my other reels were too weak. I plan on getting a job this summer but need to buy a bumper like yours Joe because my kayak was shredded in certain spots and the bottom edge was really scratched up. I also need to make a kayak cart so I don't have to carry/drag it. The only thing I'm worried about is the price of buying a new combo.

Comment

Awesome going gents! Especially you Minh! Sweet 20" keeper bro!

Minh, what were you using for your flag pole?
                            -Mustafa
                            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Haha was wondering when that would come up and thanks. Anyway it was just an old rod that I had a couple years back that snapped, and since I am somewhat of a hoarder I held onto the bottom. I bought the flag at dollar tree and seems to be holding up ok so far but I need to resew it just incase (wrapped the flagpole in tape and inserted into rod). the "flagpole" was then attached to the crate via rod holder which I ziptied to my crate which was a perfect fit. http://www.amazon.com/Berkley-Spiral...berkley+spirak

Comment

Working...
                              X