Down the breaks without a paddle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down the breaks without a paddle...

I went fishing with my 15 year old son on Saturday. It was a fantastic spring day and river conditions were perfect. We debated about hitting the tidal Potomac for snakeheads and largemouths or the upper Potomac for smallies. My son chose smallies and so we loaded the trailer up and off we went.

Unfortunately, we arrived at the Breaks with only one paddle. We were lucky we didn't lose both. While loading up, I handed two paddles to Jr. and told him to put them on the trailer so he did. For some reason that I don't get, he just threw them on and didn't bother to secure them. He's certainly old enough and smart enough to realize that the paddles need to be strapped down on the trailer. That's what I get for not double checking behind him I guess.

Anyway, instead of just heading back home we decided to go ahead and fish anyways. So I let Jr. use the one paddle and I navigated with a large stick/tree branch. River conditions were perfect. Clear and a tinge of green stain in the deeper parts, water levels and flow were optimal.

So I did the best I could to navigate down river and the stick/branch worked remarkably well considering there were no blades on it. Needless to say my fishing suffered and I got skunked. However I made it through the Breaks and back up the canal successfully.

Jr. managed a 14 inch smallie, a 12 incher, and a 11 inch largemouth bass. We saw lots of big smallies and some carp. While fishing in the canal, Jr. hooked into a monster fish with a crank bait. The fish broke him off and he was using brand new 8 pound test braid. I'm guessing it was a carp, but we didn't get a look at it.

Great day to be out on the river and still lots of fun with my son. Fishing could have been a little better and we both learned a lesson the hard way. Can't wait to get out there again with my son next weekend.

The launch.

My paddle for the day.

Jr. standing in the Coosa

Taking a break on some islands and a shot of the river.

Looks like a memorable and amusing time that will come up at the Thanksgiving table years down the road. Great pics, I cannot wait until I can get my son on a kayak. My daughter would need a hobie since both hands can never leave the cell phone, LOL.
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I once made do with a shovel I had in my truck when I managed to leave my paddle at home. Whatever it takes.

Comment

Sorry about the tough fishing and only having one paddle. Spending a day fishing with your son , that made up for it.
        John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

How was water level floating the breaks?
          Hurricane Skimmer 128
          WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Water level at the breaks was great. Seemed similar to summer time conditions, maybe a few inches higher. I made it through that first rapids section without any issues at all by using the stick. We pulled over 5 or 6 times and parked on islands and fished from shore. I never get tired of fishing that area. I spent most of the day trying to get the hang of a new baitcaster, so I wasn't very accurrate with my casts and my retrieve was faster than it should have been too. I'm guessing that the rain this week will blow up the river.

Comment

The boat in the second photo looks like a Native Manta Ray. If so, what size is it?

It is good to see that you chose to make a teachable moment out of the experience. Your son will probably never lose a paddle again.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Hi John, It's a Manta Ray 11. I like the Manta Ray a lot.

I was proud of myself for not blowing a gasket when I realized the paddle was lost. Ultimately, it was my responsibility that everything was secured properly. We both learned a lesson. If water levels were higher we would have turned around and gone home.

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                  Hi John, It's a Manta Ray 11. I like the Manta Ray a lot.

I was proud of myself for not blowing a gasket when I realized the paddle was lost. Ultimately, it was my responsibility that everything was secured properly. We both learned a lesson. If water levels were higher we would have turned around and gone home.

I own a Manta Ray 14 and love it. I have fished from a Manta Ray 12 -- it is wider, shorter, and has a slightly different feel, but still is a good boat. I'm sure your 11 is a good ride too.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I can't believe that no one has said anything about your son being up the creek without a paddle.

Sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Great report and the water looked wonderful.

Funny, just below the Brunswick area, I have used a fiberglass pole to push the canoe up stream because it is too shallow in the riffles to paddle.

Comment

Working...
                    X