South River Report, 11/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South River Report, 11/28

I went out for couple of hours this afternoon, couldn't get my lazy butt out of bed any earlier. It had been a long week, with working and with the holiday. I got out about 2:30ish. It took me a few minutes to get out around the #6 marker on the river and the first rod went down, didn't even have the second rod in the water. I had been changing out the other rod from a shallow crankbait to a deep diver. I got that fish in and estimated that he was just about keeper size. I decided to cut him loose, as I was confident that the bite was on and their would be other larger fish. I didn't catch another fish for the next hour.

I spotted some fish on the bottom and stopped to try some jigging. No luck. I went back to what I do best, trolling, and within ten minutes, I got a 20 inch fish. I got both fish on a Rapala X-Rap deep diver, color Glass Ghost. I trolled alittle longer, but the sun was down. Had to go in. It gets cold quick when the sun sets.

There were more fish in the saddle area, between the #4 and the #6 marker, than on the 13th. I didn't have much time to search around. I think the next time I go out, I am going to try one rod with a tandem bucktail rig. The fish were still hunkering down around the bottom. I think bucktails, worked just along the bottom, may also be productive. I'll have one rod dredge bottom with bucktails next time out.

Anyway, I'll have to start fishing in the mornings. The days are short and the afternoons are just not long enough. There are only a few weeks left of Striper season, I'll have to be serious. If anyone is interested in going out Tuesday or Friday mornings, let me know. I am going to try to fish both of those days. If I am not fishing the South River, due to wind, I may fish Spa Creek or the Severn River.

Good Luck.
    Attached Files

Nice work finding some fish. I wanted to go out this weekend, but I had too much to do. How long do the fish stick around in that part of the river?
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Last year they were still around till December 5, which was the last time I was out. I only stopped fishing due to the first large snow strom. I think some may actually winter over in the deeper holes. The deeper areas were where the fish were today, or not far from those areas. There seemed to be more bait fish than during the meet and greet. It was still spotty, but when there were fish, it was quite a few on the fish finder. They were still holding pretty close to the bottom, with some at mid depth. I don't fish much beyond striper season. If I do, it is mostly fresh water fishing.

Comment

Ugggh oh how I envy you Dogfish... only 1 striper for me so far this year... and that one was all of 13"! LOL. Nice report.

MYT

Comment

The stripers are out there. However, you are right, they are being tuff this year.

Comment

Friday 12/3

I think I am going to give it a go on Friday 12/3, in the morning. If anyone is interested in going, you are welcomed. South River. I should at least get a few. Wind and weather looks good. Will post a report.
            Last edited by DOGFISH; 12-02-2010, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Keep us posted on how you do. Plan on heading out saturday at the bay bridge for as long as i can last, and probably sunday morning.

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                X