Event #1 Recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event #1 Recap

Overall, I was very happy with the turnout at the event. We had 32 participants and a few had to pullout last minute. Good money was raised for HOW and everyone had a great time!!

Top 10

10. Zachary Huntington - 41.5"
    9. David (Donkeyfish) - 43"
    8. CJ Espey - 43.25"
    7. Shane (Reelaxin) - 44"
    6. Jon (jsnyd86) - 44"
    5. Dave (Turtle135) - 46.75"
    4. Wayne (Chimo) - 48.5"
    3. Mike (Chexone) - 49.25" <BIG BASS AWARD 20" LMB>
    2. Jeff (Donkeyfish's Dad) - 49.5"
    1. Matt Baden (CB Kayak 02) - 49.5" <Won on Tie-breaker, biggest #1 fish>

The BIG BASS Prize was sponsored by our own DOC IRV Custom Baits. Chexone won himself about 20 packs of different style soft plastics. Thanks Doc Irv for the support!

Here were my three fish...
    011.jpg

I have some more pictures up soon as soon as my mom send them to me. Thanks to everyone for coming out and look forward to even more at the next event.

Great tournament Matt! Beautiful day to be out on the water.

I caught over a dozen bass in that 14" to 14.5" range. All on a Junebug Culprit Fat Max worm paired with a Confidence Baits Draggin Head (used the 1/8 and the 1/4 ounce size). That combo would slide through those pad stems really well without dredging up a pound of last years now very dead weeds.

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
      Great tournament Matt! Beautiful day to be out on the water.

I caught over a dozen bass in that 14" to 14.5" range. All on a Junebug Culprit Fat Max worm paired with a Confidence Baits Draggin Head (used the 1/8 and the 1/4 ounce size). That combo would slide through those pad stems really well without dredging up a pound of last years now very dead weeds.

I like the idea of using that "swim bait" hook for a big worm...never considered it. I usually use slider heads. Thank you for sharing your report and pics...nice job.
      Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Great event and thanks for putting it together Matt! I had a good time, it was a beautiful day to be out on the water. Cant wait for the next one.

I tried using a spinnerbait since that was the pattern last weekend, but without the wind, tossing that hunk of metal around didn't make much sense. I used the same thing as Dave. Confidence baits dragon head, 1/8oz, with a worm I poured myself, 6" diamond tale with chartreuse tip. I just didn't find much with significant size. Not sure where the bigg'ins were pulled from but I headed pretty far back past the wall.
        Attached Files
        -Jon
        Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
          Great event and thanks for putting it together Matt! I had a good time, it was a beautiful day to be out on the water. Cant wait for the next one.

I tried using a spinnerbait since that was the pattern last weekend, but without the wind, tossing that hunk of metal around didn't make much sense. I used the same thing as Dave. Confidence baits dragon head, 1/8oz, with a worm I poured myself, 6" diamond tale with chartreuse tip. I just didn't find much with significant size. Not sure where the bigg'ins were pulled from but I headed pretty far back past the wall.
          I know Myself and Chexone went to right out of the ramp, and I think Chimo caught most of his fish to the right as well.. I caught most of my fish on a Rapala DT 4 Firetiger Crankbait far down the creek into the area where there wasn't anymore speed limit.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
            I know Myself and Chexone went to right out of the ramp, and I think Chimo caught most of his fish to the right as well.. I caught most of my fish on a Rapala DT 4 Firetiger Crankbait far down the creek into the area where there wasn't anymore speed limit.
            Interesting, the spinner bait I used last week was firetiger color. I almost wanted to go right since everyone started towards the barge, as expected. Glad you guys had so much luck down there. Ill have to make sure to check it out next time I go.
            -Jon
            Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
              Interesting, the spinner bait I used last week was firetiger color. I almost wanted to go right since everyone started towards the barge, as expected. Glad you guys had so much luck down there. Ill have to make sure to check it out next time I go.
              Yeah that is the only reason I went right, I had never gone that way before, but I wanted to go were less people were gonna be so I could start fishing sooner.

Comment

Matt, great event! When all of us 32 kayak anglers launched at the same time, it was a sight to see. The main reason I went right instead of left was all the traffic.

I caught 1 downstream of the launch early, on a black chatterbait with yellow curly tail, and then nothing for a while. I switched to a white chatterbait with a chartreuse/orange berkeley power worm (ribbed for the fish's pleasure) since the water was so muddy, and got a big hit right away, but I didn't set the hook and it got off. So I continued with the white... I didn't catch anything, so I went upstream where I caught 4 more fish on the white chatterbait in about 2 hours, starting around 1:30. The big 20" bass came out of the spatterdock and got all tangled up... luckily for me he stayed on long enough for me to go over and net him. My biggest bass ever... not surprising considering I had only caught a total of 2 bass before.

biggest-bass-makbf.jpg

I made out with some cool Hobie apparel and a lifetime supply of Doc Irv baits... they look great! Thanks Doc.

Congrats to the winners... looking forward to the next one.
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Here is the blog write up about my day!!

http://thehobielife.blogspot.com/201...d-rolling.html

Comment

Matt, thanks for putting on a great tournament and congratulations on the victory. I enjoyed my first outing at Mattawoman, but only managed one 15" bass. I'm looking forward to the next event. I'm not on Facebook, so I'm not sure if you've had any feedback yet, but the Saturday before Memorial day is fine with me. Also, are you still planning on having it Bull Run marina? You may have already figured out the arrangements, but I think normally you need to have the gate key and a NVRPA season pass to launch there.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfluke45 View Post
                      Matt, thanks for putting on a great tournament and congratulations on the victory. I enjoyed my first outing at Mattawoman, but only managed one 15" bass. I'm looking forward to the next event. I'm not on Facebook, so I'm not sure if you've had any feedback yet, but the Saturday before Memorial day is fine with me. Also, are you still planning on having it Bull Run marina? You may have already figured out the arrangements, but I think normally you need to have the gate key and a NVRPA season pass to launch there.
                      Good info, thanks Robert... we might have to look into the other launches I think Lake ridge is the other, or we move the event totally to occoquan river.

I think we are leaning towards either 6/1 or keeping in the same day.. The weekend before I will be at the Yak Attack tournament so that is a no go. Right now the comments are about half and half to keep it or change it.

Comment

photo (56).jpgphoto (57).jpg

Wanted to share these just to have them available to others. Nothing spectacular.

P.S. For Occ Reservoir over the River. No preference on date.
                        -Jon
                        Revo 13

Comment

Working...
                        X