Patuxent Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patuxent Trout

Not kayak, but... There is this place just off a road I travel almost everyday where the patuxent can be accessed for Put & Take trout fishing. I stop by there periodically to try and catch some trout. I caught 2 last year in maybe 8 tries. So far this year, I had stopped by 3 times and caught nothing but creek chub.

I tried a new tactic today, based on a tip from Ictalurus, and caught 2 pretty nice ones, 14" and 12" . Happy happy....

2trout.jpg
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Nice Mike!

Comment

Nice work, my favorite bait for trout has become the Berkley trout worms in pink or orange. Work like a charm and they usually last through several fish before having to change.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I tried berkeley trout worms in chartreuse and yellow, as well as powerbait trout dough, with no luck. It's probably because I don't really know how to fish them.

BTW, my secret lure is not really secret... it's just a Mepps spinner in a secret style.
        Mike S.
        Hobie Outback

Comment

Let me guess it is the Mepps Aglia #0 in gold... Has been my go to put trout in the bag lure from about 1994 on.

Meadeo
          2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

Nice trout. I bought my first ever trout stamp this year and have not caught any to show for it.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Meadeo, actually, the lure you describe is close to what my go-to spinner was like last year and the 3 times I got trout-skunked this year: a small #0-like golden spinner with a fly on the end... but I didn't catch anything with it this year. Now granted, the lure you are suggesting is not a fly... and I may have one liek yours, so next time I'm there I will try it. Thanks for the tip. The one I had luck with yesterday was a #1 silver insect wing blade with red tail spinner. I caught the 2 trout in 3 casts... it was either luck, the lure or the time of day... or all 3 or none of the three... I love fishing

John, have you tried?
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback

Comment

Fished another area with Shady this morning. We were both using Berkely trout worms in pink , chartreuse or yellow.

I caught 4, including a nice 15" rainbow.

Shady limited out and got a big golden trout! The goldens are notoriously hard to catch.
                Mike S.
                Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice fishing with you again Mike. Glad we both took some nice fish home.

The goldy wasn't a monster, but its the biggest I've caught at just a bit over 14"

And i dont mind sharing that we were fishing the gunpowder.
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Good work guys! Like John, I bought my first trout stamp this year but haven't tried for them. I'll try some of the baits you've mentioned here and see what happens. I'm in Laurel a lot so I might try savage mills.
                    Shane
                    Hobie Outback

Comment

DSCN5369.jpg
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Nice work, gents, and congrats on finding a good lure, Mike. I tried spinners a Gilbert Run earlier this year with only dink bass to show for it.
                        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

We wacked em again this morning on the patapsco. Most of the streams are void of trout fisherman this time of the year, go get em' They're hungry!
                          Ryan
                          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback

Comment

Working...
                          X