Shad @ Fletchers, 4-24-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shad @ Fletchers, 4-24-13

Today I had a banner day at Fletchers, 4-24-13, 6:30am-1:00pm. I caught dozens and dozens of hickory shad from shore using spinning gear. Action started out slow but ramped up quickly to silly fast. By 10:30am action was hot and heavy with something happening on more casts than not. From 11:30am to 12:30pm it was fish on most casts. Size ranged mostly from small to mediums but also caught about 10 big beauties. Unfortunately, no American shad and none reported by the few shore guys I talked to.

High tide was at 8:00am, and it was a really high one too, higher than I’ve seen for a long time. Water vis about 2.5’-3’, fishing pressure was surprisingly light. Nearly all hickories were caught on a 000 Nunguesser silver spoon that I had powder painted it’s underside chartreuse, worked great. I added a 3/8oz bullet weight 2’ up the line to increase casting distance and depth.

Great day on the Potomac, best hickory day than I've had for a couple of years.
    Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

v nice report....I was on the Susky on monday w/similar success, however, I hooked up w/a few big American shad too.

Comment

Originally posted by whenican View Post
      v nice report....I was on the Susky on monday w/similar success, however, I hooked up w/a few big American shad too.
      I haven't fished the Susky for shad for several years. But when I did I remember that the first week in May was always a sure-fire week to try for Americans up at the dam.

Americans have been showing up sporadically and in low numbers at Fletchers this spring. But seems no sooner are a few caught that they seem to disappear overnight.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Working...
      X