Ocean Kayak's new yak!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean Kayak's new yak!

Check out Ocean Kayak's Torque...electric trolling motor. pretty neat.

OCEAN KAYAK
    PUTS NEW SPIN ON

KAYAK FISHING WITH TORQUE™ ANGLER
    Premium Fishing Kayak Offers True Hands-Free Operation
    With Rudder Controlled Minn Kota® Trolling Motor
    Ferndale, WA (June 18, 2009) Ocean Kayak, a renowned leader in paddlesports industry for over
    35 years, is pleased to introduce the new Torque fishing kayak. Crafted around the successful
    Prowler Trident Angler kayak platform, the new Torque seamlessly blends all the features anglers
    need on the water and includes a Minn Kota Maximizer trolling motor with infinite variable speed
    control and reverse.
    The Torque’s motor system is engineered for convenience and provides anglers with a true hands-free
    trolling option. Unlike the competition, the Torque motor has variable speed control, which operates
    along a spectrum rather than a fixed dial system to help anglers find their perfect trolling speed.
    The drive system provides up to 33 pounds of thrust that is controlled through a drive speed control
    knob in the cockpit and an extra large rudder that provides superior handling and control. For added
    utility the drop-in motor, mounted through the tank well, is easily accessible and can be assembled and
    disassembled without tools.
    “An exceptional fishing kayak, the Torque is incredibly well integrated and offers all the features today’s
    kayak angler has come to expect from Ocean Kayak,” said Sara Knies, Senior Brand Manager for Johnson
    Outdoors Paddlesports. “Unlike anything else on the market today, the Torque accommodates a plug and
    play motor that provides our consumers unparalleled convenience and performance.”
    A stable, 13’ 10” kayak, the Torque offers a dry ride, foot pegs for all day comfort and good tracking
    both while paddling and under power. The Torque also includes a removable skeg for improved
    tracking when the motor is not in use. Other key features include a large bow hatch, areas to mount
    fishing accessories, transducer compatible scupper hole, paddle keeper and a comfortable seat back.
    Available in two colors, yellow and sand, the new Torque will hit specialty stores later this
    summer. SRP: $ 1,999 US. For more information about the Ocean Kayak™ brand, our kayak
    fishing team and our latest innovations please visit www.oceankayak.com.
    Ocean Kayak™ is part of the Johnson Outdoors family of innovative, market-leading brands. The
    company designs, manufactures and markets a portfolio of top-quality products for the global
    marketplace across four categories: Watercraft, Marine Electronics, Diving and Outdoor Equipment.
    Johnson Outdoors' familiar brands include, among others: Ocean Kayak, Necky® kayaks, Old Town®
    canoes and kayaks, Extrasport

®, Lendal™ and Carlisle® paddles, Minn Kota® motors, Cannon®
    downriggers, Humminbird

® fish finders, Scubapro® and UWATEC® dive equipment, and Eureka!® tents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PNU2fhJFJ8

http://www.oceankayak.com/news/press.../OK_Torque.pdf
    sigpic

Schweet little toy

Comment

dammit...now i want one. that is tight!
      Hobie Revolution 13
      Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

you would have to register it though which would be a pain for a yak i've heard. i dont think i would want that as my only kayak, but would be sweet to add to the fleet
        sigpic

Comment

Why would you have to register it? And if you have to at least it would be free, anything in Maryland with a 5.5hp motor or less doesn't require a fee. I think this would include trolling motors. But, its almost hard to call it a kayak.

Comment

i was under the impression ANY floating vessel needs to be registered when powered by a motor, regardless of size.

my buddy had one of those inflatable rafts and when he wanted to stick a trolling motor on it, he had to have it registered.

from the dnr site

How do I know if my vessel must be registered in Maryland?
            Your vessel, whether commercial or recreational, must be registered in Maryland if it is:
            • Equipped with any kind of primary or auxiliary mechanical propulsion; and
            • Used in Maryland most in a calendar year.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/registration/
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stupidjet View Post
              i was under the impression ANY floating vessel needs to be registered when powered by a motor, regardless of size.

my buddy had one of those inflatable rafts and when he wanted to stick a trolling motor on it, he had to have it registered.

from the dnr site

How do I know if my vessel must be registered in Maryland?
              Your vessel, whether commercial or recreational, must be registered in Maryland if it is:
              • Equipped with any kind of primary or auxiliary mechanical propulsion; and
              • Used in Maryland most in a calendar year.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/registration/
              I think you're right. I called the DNR earlier this year and asked if I had to register my kayak. The guy asked if I had a motor. I said no and was informed that I did not have to register. I am not sure if the size or HP had anything to do with it. I am getting a HOBIE or something like it man... I think the HOBIE's got the DNR in their pockets or something ...LOL..

Comment

Working...
              X