4/15 afternoon tog bites CHSP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4/15 afternoon tog bites CHSP

Tog1.jpgArrived at 1:40 and fished about 3.5 hours.

Water clarity was 4' approx.

Used leftover blue crab and head on shrimp from Saturday.

The catch.

7. 13"-14"
    2. 15.5"
    2. 16"
    1. 17"

Will post my keepers when I get home tonight . Be careful. I think they changed the law to 3 16" limit until may 11. Then it goes down to 15" when it reopens in the fall. That's what was posted on the billboard anyhow at chsp.
    Last edited by dson05; 04-15-2013, 10:13 PM.
    The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

WTG! I had a feeling the bite was starting, but I won't be able to fish there soon.

Anyway, yeah, the limit is 3 now. I think the 15" minimum is in effect now. Season closes 12 May and reopens 17 Jul. I think when it reopens, the 3 limit is still in effect. The rules can be confusing, so I'll have to confirm.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Nice! I hope to get out there on thursday
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Damn good job I need to get out there before the season closes. What # braid do you use? And I know people use a 40#+ mono leader. This will be my first time fishing for tog from a yak and from shore 20# mono worked for me however I lost a lot of rigs.

Anyway I am rambling a bit so i'm going to get to the point.

Why not use braid instead of the leader? I know that braid has better abraision resistance and it seemed that last time your leader broke off quite a bit. So why use the leader? is it to conserve braid?
        Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Tufnik,
          I just looked on the website and for this year the size limit is 15'' year round and the fish limit is 5 fish besides April-May where the limit is 3 fish

Comment

I checked too. Min is 15" during the year.

Open season:
            April 1 - May 11 Creel 3
            July 17 - Aug. 31 Creel 5
            Sept. 29 - Dec. 31 Creel 5

Braid is NOT better than mono for abrasion resistance. That's why I use 50# mono for my leader, which may be 4-6' long. I prefer mono for my main line, and I use 25# mono there. Does the job well. Some guys use 50# braid for the main (for abrasion resistance).
            Last edited by tufnik; 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
              Damn good job I need to get out there before the season closes. What # braid do you use? And I know people use a 40#+ mono leader. This will be my first time fishing for tog from a yak and from shore 20# mono worked for me however I lost a lot of rigs.

Anyway I am rambling a bit so i'm going to get to the point.

Why not use braid instead of the leader? I know that braid has better abraision resistance and it seemed that last time your leader broke off quite a bit. So why use the leader? is it to conserve braid?
              I don't know about others but I think 50# mono will hold. Up much better than braid. Also I like the fact that it has a bit of stretch that keeps the hook in the mouth a bit better. Lastly with mono u can make a lot of rigs before you head out so it won't take long to replace. I personally use a snap swivel at the end of my main line and a barrel swivel at the end of my leader to make an easier faster swap. I make leaders 4' in length just to protect my main line a little more.

Braid is also more expensive.

Right now I've been using. 40# braid on a calcutta 201b. On other reels I use 50# braid. I think in bigger waters or more rough areas ill stick to 50#.
              The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

Comment

Sorry I guess I was misinformed. I have never used braid before so I wouldn't know and am glad that I won't need to restring my reel. Thanks for the info I am glad that I get to save money because I already have 25# strung. Anyway I guess all i need is 50# mono thanks again for clearing things up.

Comment

Thanks for the reports, now I have another tog potential spot. I'll be in OC, this Friday and Saturday and if the weather is ok, I will be Tog fishing in the afternoons, I just have not decided where. Will you be fishing CHSP this Friday or Saturday afternoon?
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
                    Thanks for the reports, now I have another tog potential spot. I'll be in OC, this Friday and Saturday and if the weather is ok, I will be Tog fishing in the afternoons, I just have not decided where. Will you be fishing CHSP this Friday or Saturday afternoon?
                    No. Have work Friday and Saturday. I will make another run over to CHSP on monday after class.

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                      Sorry I guess I was misinformed. I have never used braid before so I wouldn't know and am glad that I won't need to restring my reel. Thanks for the info I am glad that I get to save money because I already have 25# strung. Anyway I guess all i need is 50# mono thanks again for clearing things up.
                      Use mono at 25# as the minimum for the main line. Sometimes I use 30#. Check the first 6-15 feet or so for nicks and abrasion often. If you are in doubt, cut the line off making sure you have good line to the leader. Also, I almost always never reuse a rig for a second trip (there are small nicks/abrasion that can weaken the rig).

Comment

Working...
                      X