Fine day in Tampa Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine day in Tampa Bay

I arrived in Tampa on Thurs afternoon. I was scheduled for a full day of kayak fishing on Fri and a half day on Sat morning. The wind was howling here on Fri, which cancelled the trip. I woke up this morning to calm and warm day. I met guide Neil Taylor near Ft DeSoto park at 7:45. We launched two Native Ultimates and paddled over a shallow flat for 15 mins to our first stop. We cast all morning to small sandy depressions in the grass where the depth was a bit deeper than the flats (3-6 ft). We drifted or anchored upwind of the sandy areas and cast 1/4-oz jigheads tipped with gold and white 4" paddletail mullets made by a local company (12 Fathoms).

The speckled trout bite was on from the start and never stopped all morning. I caught between 30 to 40 specs from feisty 13" youngsters to several 18" specimens.

001.jpg 002.jpg 006.jpg 005_2.jpg

We also hooked numerous acrobatic ladyfish that pulled remarkably hard for a slender fish.
    005.jpg

Later in the morning Neil gave me some pointers on how to work a topwater Mirrolure plug. I was not too good at it, but did manage to catch an 18" trout, a ladyfish, and a pinfish on the plug before my arms gave out from the constant twitching.

For the last hour, we anchored up on the edge of the channel and jigged gently for silver trout. They were easy to hook. On many of his recent visits to the same spot, Neil's clients had hooked silver trout, which were then attacked by blacktip sharks and cobia. We did not get any of these larger predators today, but I still enjoyed trying.

004.jpg

I hooked two other species during the morning -- a cow-nosed ray and a lizardfish. By 2:00 my northern body had received enough sun, and my arms and hands were tired from 6 hours of constant casting and retrieving (plus catching over 50 fish). The trip today was fabulous. I can heartily recommend Neil Taylor for anyone seeking a guide in the Tampa Bay area. http://www.strikethreekayakfishing.c...s/default.aspx
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 04-14-2013, 05:24 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Sounds like a great time to me John!! Way to rub it in that your down iin FL! I bet those top water hits were a blast!

Comment

Six hours of continuous casting and catching?!?! Sounds like you had too much fun. Hopefully someday we'll that kind of action up here...lol.....
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

I fished this morning off of Longboat Key from a kayak and picked up a few specs including this 21" beauty. All were caught on 4" paddle tail plastic on 1/4-oz jighead. The guy fishing with me tried to take photos of me holding the fish using my camera, but apparently he never held the shutter down long enough -- those photos never made it onto the memory card.
        002.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 007.jpg

I also caught one ladyfish and one small flounder on the same jig and plastic. Tomorrow afternoon I will try again with Neil Taylor at the southern side of the mouth of Tampa Bay.

001.jpg
        John Veil
        Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I usually use grub worms with twister tails for flounder. I have a bunch of 6" paddle tails (white and chartruse). You convinced me to use them now.
          2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
          2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Geez, I cant wait for retirement! Nice reports John!
            Ryan
            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I fished this afternoon near the southern end of the Sunshine Skyway bridge (mouth of Tampa Bay) for 4 hours with kayak guide Neil Taylor. We cast to sandy pockets in among grass flats. I caught 7 speckled trout and 7 flounder. My friend Mike, who had never kayak fished before, came with me and caught similar numbers of specs, one jack, and some flounder. He is so psyched about kayak fishing that he plans to buy one when he returns home to Oklahoma. I also got to fish from a Native Slayer. The seat was very comfortable and was raised. But the boat seemed heavy and paddled slower than my Manta Ray.

Tomorrow I leave clear water, warm temperatures, and good fishing to return home. I certainly enjoyed my three kayak trips here in Florida.

014.jpg 020.jpg
              Last edited by J.A. Veil; 04-17-2013, 10:08 AM.
              John Veil
              Annapolis

Comment

Great catch there. I can't wait to go down this summer. I love that area.

Outback 2015
                Maui

Comment

Two of my all time favorite eating fish! Yumm...fresh fried speckled trout, french fries and hush puppies...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                  X