Shore fishing Loch Raven 4-12-2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore fishing Loch Raven 4-12-2013

Managed to get out to Loch Raven for a couple hours yesterday and check out some of my spring crappie holes from shore. Action was slow but steady with 8-10 crappies to 13 inches, 6 pickeral, a bass bluegill and yellow perch coming to shore. All fish caught in and around downed trees on 2 inch curly tail grubs. Nice to get after 'em for the first time this year!

Chimo

nice work and welcome back!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Been freshwater fishing my whole life but feel like a rookie asking this....what is that fish in the second pic?

Comment

That be a pickerel. The black "tear drop" under the eye is the distinguishing mark. They are very common in Loch Raven. My neighbor has a reservoir boat and we would fish there quite often. I caught more pickerel then bass, especially with crankbaits. I would love to put my kayak in there, but its ridiculous to sign a waiver and limit the waters I could fish.

I recognize you from the Jamboree dinner (the hat gives it away), I would have came over and introduced myself, but everyone looks like strangers to me being a first year member.

Originally posted by Poolz1 View Post
        Been freshwater fishing my whole life but feel like a rookie asking this....what is that fish in the second pic?
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Thanks! Here I thought I knew just about every freshwater species in the state. Learn something new every day. I always knew the rules were tight about putting a boat into Loch Raven but what's the waiver for? Havent fished there in many years.

Comment

When you use a boat in Loch Raven, Prettyboy and Liberty, which are owned by the City of Baltimore, you have to agree to only use your craft on those bodies of water. This is to prevent the infestation of the municipal water supply with Zebra mussels. These have recently been detected in the Susquehanna, so they are not that far away.
            Yo cannot use your craft anywhere else.
            Like it or not, it is what it is.

BTW, Lake Roland has been taken over by Baltimore County, and they are very Kayak friendly, except no motors-including no electric motors-human power only. Bass, sunfish, crappies and carp.

Comment

Working...
            X