Nov M&G Video Recap - 11/13/2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nov M&G Video Recap - 11/13/2010

I just got done editing the little bit of video i took at Saturdays Meet and Greet. I had a blast again and look forward to future events.

I don't have any exciting recaps other than a 19" schoolie but it was a great trip non the less.

I Stuck with the trolling game plan the hole trip. Live or die by the sword i guess. After hearing about Dogfish and Chimo's success its better to be flexible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6hBMNracc8

Thanks again Dogfish for doing the legwork this month.

I know, I was humbled a bit myself. I got 4, 3 trolling and one on a jig. Chimo got the best of the jigging. He was tired of trolling also. Most of the fish were holding tight to the bottom. I had seen the fish in differing places around the river, with no hits. The spot where Chimo was jigging was also the area where I had caught fish trolling earlier in the morning. It was different.

I was going to try to go fishing today 11/16, with the light showers and little wind it would have been perfent striper weather. However, after Saturday and two days of work, I was still tired. I needed a real day off, from everything.

Thanks for the video, it was fun seeing everyone.

Comment

Nice work on the vid. I especially like the Benny Hill paddling to and from the river mouth. I think that was the most trolling I've ever done, too, or it was close--9.5 miles. It was definitely the most while wearing a dry suit. For that kind of distance, I might as well have paddled all the way across the Bay.

I usually troll to and from my primary fishing spots, some of which are a mile or two away, then I cast, jig, or bottom fish. Trolling back from my main spots have saved me from skunks on many occasions. I also trolled to find fish to cast to before I had a fish finder. This was my most extended solely trolling/searching trip, though, and the Yo-zuri Dogfish recommended paid off. Those were the first two fish I've ever caught on deep-diving crankbaits.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

great video! man get a lip gripper, putting that rock in your lap with what 2 trebble hooks? thats a good way to ruin a pair of waders or get a hook where the sun dont shine

i went up river following some birds, only one strike on a redfish magick with a black BT and 4" white curly tail. in about 15' of water.

Comment

awesome video!
          Hobie Revolution 13
          Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
            great video! man get a lip gripper, putting that rock in your lap with what 2 trebble hooks? thats a good way to ruin a pair of waders or get a hook where the sun dont shine

i went up river following some birds, only one strike on a redfish magick with a black BT and 4" white curly tail. in about 15' of water.
            I Had a lip gripper in my lap but the lure had hooked the bass's mouth shut . I guess i could have grabbed the lure with the grippers

As soon as the fish was between my legs i realized my mistake and poked it towards the foot rests with the gripper.

Comment

i thought you did. i think this winter im going to change out the trebles on my most used lures with a circle hooks. something like a 4/0 gami in red

Comment

Sam--have you put circle hooks on plugs before? I put singles on a shallow Bomber, and the action stank. I don't think my Rattletraps run quite right with two tines cut off, either. However, Yo-zuri has a couple lures with circle hooks on them, but I can't find any reviews. I've definitely thought about swapping the tail hook for a circle because blues often hit the tail of a lure then bolt.
                Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Nice job on the video, Mike. I was even getting tired watching the speeded up paddle segment!

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                    Sam--have you put circle hooks on plugs before? I put singles on a shallow Bomber, and the action stank. I don't think my Rattletraps run quite right with two tines cut off, either. However, Yo-zuri has a couple lures with circle hooks on them, but I can't find any reviews. I've definitely thought about swapping the tail hook for a circle because blues often hit the tail of a lure then bolt.
                    i read an article in Saltwater Sportsman by george poveromo where he changed out the trebles and had a good hook up ratio. i have good luck with crippled herring jigs and they are a single hook rig. i always feel like a snagger when using lures with trebles, not as sporting as with a single hook.
                    Last edited by surfdog; 11-19-2010, 07:16 PM.

Comment

12/3

I have been fishing serveral times since the November meet and greet, and whenever I see people at the marina they still make favorable comments about the kayak fishing. They were quite impressed on how the kayaks were rigged and the launching. Looks like everyone made quite and impression.

One guy last night thought it was funny how everyone launched at the same spot and then scattered in all directions out in the river. I told him its all about a quest for fish.

Comment

I'm glad we made a good impression, especially since your community was nice enough to let us use the marina. I was wondering if there would be complaints about the sudden increase of speed bumps on the water.

Fishing in a group and spreading out is a good way to figure out the pattern for an area. Next time, we just need to figure out the pattern before everyone heads back for lunch.
                        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Working...
                        X