Fletcher's 4-9-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fletcher's 4-9-13

Fished at Fletcher's Boathouse today from 10:00-12:30.
    I walked about half way up toward Chain Bridge. Didn't see any kayaker's in the time I was on the river.
    The water was low and judging by the water marks on the rocks, the tide seemed out and slack.
    Current was relatively slow, compared to the Susky.
    Visibility was about 2+ feet.
    I was hoping for a little overcast, didn't happen. The fish were all caught in deep water, on the downstream side of the diagonal ledges.
    So the fishing conditions weren't perfect, and then it got crazy hot. Too hot to be wearing waders!
    Fishing was slow but steady.
    I didn't tear them up, like John did at the Susky. It took me 2 1/2 hours to catch as many fish as he caught in 15 minutes. At least I went home with some fish stink on me!
    Too much wasted time trying to figure out what color they wanted (hint: it wasn't the usual green or pink).
    I used a double dart rig to catch most of them. A #12 Tony accounted for the other.
    Mostly Hickory Shad, and small ones at that (14-16"), but also two White Shad, one of which was a real pig. Reel screaming drag etc. on 10 lb. braid and a 8 lb. leader.
    White Shad, like white guys, don't jump! Head shaking, sounding, and long runs.
    Last edited by bignose; 04-09-2013, 04:44 PM.

Nice going Stu. Thanks for the report.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice report, great to hear about the american shad

Comment

Working...
      X