First Shad in Occoquan - April 5, 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Shad in Occoquan - April 5, 2013

Mustafa (Abumasgouf) and I went to Occoquan for Shad. It was my first shad fishing of the year and Mustafa's first ever.

Because it was my first shad fishing this year, I wasn't sure whether shad were leaving, arriving, or here in full force

The Plan:
    1. Locate shad by trolling 1/12oz gold Kast-Master cast spoons
    2. Cast where we found a good number of shad

We didn't cast because shad weren't there in full force. My gut feeling is that Next week will be very good.

Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I wonder if a sabiki rig would work for shad....
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
      I wonder if a sabiki rig would work for shad....
      It may work if you find the one with bigger baits on the Sabiki rig. But I think the Sabiki rig can be used only once. The sabiki rig will be seriously damaged /tangled after one shad.
      I used sabiki rigs on a power boat and bank. That is fine. I also used sabiki rig for baitfish on a kayak. I never try again. a 6' long Sabiki rig is very hard to use on a kayak. You need a long rod because you are sitting on a kayak. and the hooks on the Sabiki rig will mate each other, and snag your cloth and skin. When you give up using a sabiki rig, you have to go through the hassle to pack it. I usually wrapped the sabiki rig and put it into a sandwich bag. And I got back to the land I throw it away. Untangling a sabiki rig for reuse did not worth the effort. Or you need to be very patient person. Obviously I am not a patient person

Joe
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Well I was thinking that if that was a problem (which it will be) I might just cut one in half and make it into 2 rigs that might reduce tangling. Not sure if it would make it less effective but I don't think it will make mush of a difference.

Comment

A sabiki rig with more than two hooks is illegal to use in Maryland waters.
          Maryland restricts you to no more than two hooks (sets of hooks-lures with treble hooks are considered as set) per rod.
          I recommend a double shad dart or dart and spoon rig.
          I use a heavier dart on the dropper, usually an 1/8 oz dart on a 1 foot leader, and a lighter dart or small nungusser or tony spoon on the trailer, about 24" of leader. Most of the strikes will be on the trailer.
          I tie these to a small ball bearing swivel that attaches to the main (braid) line.

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
            Well I was thinking that if that was a problem (which it will be) I might just cut one in half and make it into 2 rigs that might reduce tangling. Not sure if it would make it less effective but I don't think it will make mush of a difference.
            I thought about a tandem shad rig because I am a tandem-rig-enthusiastic. Because the lures for shad are so light and I need to move the lure at a good speed - jigging and retrieve or simple retrieve, I don't know how to rig two lures on a line.

BTW the1/12oz gold Kast Master out performs in Occoquan for some reason. The heavier one 1/8oz was easy to cast but it didn't do good for me. Perhaps it is because the 1/8oz sink too much when I use 4-6#test mono.

Comment

If you are trolling a small tandem rig, try attaching a light weight trolling sinker, 1/2 to 1 oz. or so, to the main line and then tie the tandem off of that. It's a like a mini version of the tandem rigs we troll for stipers in the Bay. We use sinkers from 2-16 oz. with wire line, and 80 lb test leaders, 6' on the dropper and 12 ' on the trailer. Some of the lures we use are as big as some of the shad.
              Some guys are using a Bass style bullet worm sinker above the tie in point. Old school guys on the Susky will clamp 3-4 small split shot on the main line, but I find that this gets hung up too much.
              Or use a heavier 1/4 oz. dart on the dropper (short leader).
              Don't try to use a double spoon rig, a sure recipe to tangle and twist up.
              4-6 lb. may be a little light for this sort of rig.
              Last edited by bignose; 04-07-2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Bignose,
                Thanks for the good info. I can use the info for other species which I can keep and eat. For shad, I will stick with a singe lure. I do shad fishing because they put out good fight for their size for the light tackle. All I want is to see those few fantastic leaps out of water.

joe

Comment

Poor man's Tarpon!
                  Glad to see them come and glad to see them go!

Comment

Awesome day! Thank you so much Joe for helping me catch my first hickory shad ever! I'm planning on hitting Occoquan again next week. Hopefully Joe's gut feeling will be right!
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Nice going!!
                      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Friends went to Fletchers this weekend (rented their row boats) and had a great day....The shad are at Fletchers in force. Has anyone ever launched their kayak @ Fletchers? Do they allow access to the water @/near their dock or do you have to go a little upstream or downstream...I have only fished there once (last year) out of one of their boats...i had a great day, but would like to kayak it.
                        Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                          Awesome day! Thank you so much Joe for helping me catch my first hickory shad ever! I'm planning on hitting Occoquan again next week. Hopefully Joe's gut feeling will be right!
                          Sorry. I just bought he last KastMaster 1/12oz - which you didn't bought.

PS. If I can fish, I am heading for DE or CBBT this coming Sat.

joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                            Sorry. I just bought he last KastMaster 1/12oz - which you didn't bought.

PS. If I can fish, I am heading for DE or CBBT this coming Sat.

joe
                            No worries, I actually went Saturday evening and bought 2 By the way Walmart in fairlakes also carries them but they are surprisingly 20 cents cheaper at Dick's.

If you are heading to DE or CBBT I should be able to join you. Let me know
                            -Mustafa
                            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                            2016 Hobie Outback
                            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Just a heads up...winds are forecasted to be at 15 mph in DE on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                              X