Charleston, SC Fishing Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charleston, SC Fishing Trip

My wife and I spent an enjoyable week in Charleston over our spring break. Even though the weather was rough, rain one day, and strong winds the other days, I did manage to do some fishing.

Within an hour of getting there I caught two undersize trout, one on a doa shrimp and one on a redfish magic spinnerbait.

On Wednesday I went out with local guide and tournament angler Justin Carter, of Kayakfishsc (http://kayakfishsc.com/ )

We met and headed out in Pro Anglers. I had my Revo with me, but I wanted to see how Justin has his boats rigged.

Justin was an excellent guide. He really knows the waters well and knows how to fish from a kayak. I learned so much from him. Justin had nice Penn reels (Battles or Fierces) with St. Croix rods. This is a great combo!

We fished hard,but it was a tough day. The wind was really ripping and made it tough to fish. Justin showed me how to fish with a bottom/carolina rig with live bait. He was very good at showing me how to really learn how to use the peddles and position your boat for maximum efficiency. He made it look so easy!

We peddled and threw artificials (zman baits) during slack tide and then we pulled up on an oyster bed and threw out carolina rigs with cut mullet, and mud minnows, but had only one bite.

Later we moved with the current and would anchor up at points that had been known to hold fish using a stake out pole, and we would throw out two carolina rigs with mullet and mud minnows, and a popping cork with a mud minnow and then throw an artificial.

I fished hard, but it was tough. Justin had caught a couple of trout, but the fish just weren't biting.

Finally, a redfish hit my artificial bait. He didn't really fight hard until he came up, and then decided he wasn't done. I finally got him netted, measured and Justin took some pictures.

We fished for a bit longer and then finally called it a day. Justin gave me one redfish he caught. So I now have some redfish in the freezer. They are delicious fish!

So if you are going to Charleston, I highly recommend Justin Carter, if you want to get put on some quality fish, and learn a ton about how to fish for reds and trout from a kayak!

Enjoy!

photo(1).jpgphoto.jpgP3270027.jpgP3270031.jpgP3270032.jpgphoto(2).jpg

Very nice!

Comment

Nice report, thanks for sharing. Charleston is a beautiful area.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I used to live in Bay View Acres (not far down the road from the USS Yorktown) when I was a kid back in the 70's and 80's We used to see lots of fish swimming around the carrier when we would visit it. I fished it a few times from a family friend's boat and used to pull in a lot of shark pups. Must have been a birthing area... We did hook into something that busted heavy line rigged for shark once... But that was a heavy, low pull; not a fight from a large shark. Always made me wonder.

Comment

Working...
        X