Occoquan or Fletcher's 4/6/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occoquan or Fletcher's 4/6/13

I am debating hitting the Occoquan or the Potomac at Fletcher's this Saturday. Is anyone in a position to report the condition of the Occoquan? It has been very stained all winter and I wanted to know if it improved any.
    Ed
    Jackson Cuda 14

Reliable source on a boater board caught several Hickories on the Big O this morning.

Comment

went last saturday & water was still stained with the rain last night it won be any better IMO
      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I could do either, but I'm going to Fletcher's.

Comment

I am leaning towards Fletcher's as well the water should be clearer than the occoquan. I have never fished that area of the Potomac and have wanted to explore it and strippers should be moving in. What time are you heading their.
          Ed
          Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

I'm going to be there before the sun is up. Probably be there almost all day.

Comment

I will probably head out mid to late morning. Have some things to do around the house. Do you know how crowded it gets mid day
              Ed
              Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

With the weather this weekend I would expect most if not all of Fletcher's boats to be in the water.

Comment

Roger that.i may alter my plans to avoid the crowds. What species do you fish for when you go to Fletcher's? I was planing rigging for stripers and sm bass.
                  Ed
                  Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

I fish for everything. With just a silver buddy I can catch at least five species.

Comment

image.jpgI decided to hit Fletcher's Cove this morning hoping that striped bass had there way up river. I arrived at 6:10 am was paddling by 6:45 am and I was swimming by 7:15 am. The morning obviously did not start the way I wanted but it ended ok. No striped bass but I did hook up with a nice LM bass (2.11 lbs) and hooked a large SM bass. I got the smallie next to me, went to lip it and the Line snapped at the knot. The water was cold but the day turned out to be nice.
                      Last edited by Moschedmi; 04-06-2013, 04:26 PM.
                      Ed
                      Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

I snagged one hickory early on while trolling two crankbaits. That was the only fish I put my hands on. They just weren't biting for me the way the were last year. I tried all the spots I had success last year and more. The fly fishers seemed to be having an easy time catching themy.

I lost a handful of lures and my anchor. I even had the anchor rigged with some zip ties to break away so I could pull it from the other end. Apparently I wasn't able to break the zip ties while seated in my kayak. I was damn near flipping it trying to do so.

Comment

I tried anchoring. The current was so strong that the nylon cord on my kayak broke and I ended up in the water. The only thing I lost were a circular package of weights. I was lucky could have been a lot worse.
                          Ed
                          Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Yeah, the current was ripping. It wasn't like that last year. It's not like the river level is higher either. I couldn't even go up the river past one point where I had no problem last year. Last year I got up past Chain Bridge.

Comment

Working...
                            X